Chapter 3.

"I appreciate you taking care of me, my lady. My name is Cambryn Mckladdon. I am the Laird of Clan Mckladdon and my home is at Mckladdon keep."

 Bella was about to reply when her door burst open and her neighbor's young son stood in the doorway panting for breath. The child's gaze landed on Cambryn for a brief moment, but then he turned towards Bella.

      "Bella, you must come and help my mother birth her babe! She is in a lot of pain and I do not know what to do."
Bella reached out to him and patted his shoulder,
   "fear not, Kollan, your mother will be fine. Where is your father?"
Kollan snorted and rolled his eyes, 

       " I care not, Bella, he abandoned mother when he was informed of her being with child. I am the man of the house, come, please, and help her!"

Bella looked over to Cambryn, and for some reason, she looked at him for permission. 

   "Will you be alright if I leave you alone for a while?"

At seeing him nod his head, Bella breathed a sigh of relief. But before she left the cottage, she turned to Kollan and asked if he could keep the warrior company and to serve him the evening meal, just in case the birthing took longer than what Bella thought.
At seeing the young lad nod, Bella retrieved her healing basket and ran out the door to attend to Margaret and her bairn.

The time passed slowly, and while Bella was away and tending to Margret and her bairn, Kollan eyed Cambryn with unsure suspicion. Wanting to set the boy at ease, Cambryn was about to approach the lad, when they both heard Bella's name being called in the distance. Kollan got up from where he was sitting and opened the door, only to find Gillian their neighbor trembling on the threshold, she was wrangling her hands and silently crying.

      "What's the matter, Gillian?"

Kollan asked apprehensively. 

      "You must come with me lad, Bella bids you, your father is in a drunken rage and is attempting to break down your cottage door and wanting to disturb Bella with her work in helping your mum." 

Gillian then cast her eyes at Cambryn and gasped. 

     "Who are you Sir, and what are you doing here in miss Bella's cottage?"

 Kollan yanked Gillian's arm and brought her out of her confused stupor, and told her to not to worry about the stranger. 

      "We must hurry, Gilly. Mamma and Bella need us." 

He then turned to Cambryn, 

     "Come if you must Sir, but do not slow us down!!"

Cambryn laughed silently and shook his head, what a proud scamp, he thought. Then he eased himself out of the bed, grabbed his scabbard and sword and allowed the lad and the girl to lead the way to where Bella needed him.