Chapter 19.

Back at the McKenzie Keep...,

"Is there any news about the outcome of the attack, father?"

Bella asked impatiently. Tearlach, said nothing, as he was lost in thought. Hearing a soft whistle coming from his far right, Tearlach got up from his chair abruptly and Stroud towards the sound.

Bella was left all alone in the great hall. She was just about to add a few more logs to the fire when she felt an arm wrap around her neck and hot foul breath flowing down her neck. Bella was about to scream for help for her father to come to her aid when a hand covered her mouth.

"Did you think that I would have fallen for the trick that laird Mckladdon planned. My idiot of a brother probably had, but I am smarter. Now I can have my revenge."

Bella struggled, trying to free herself from his grasp.

"Mother!"

She heard Kollan shout across the hall. She prayed that he wouldn't rush towards them and attempt to rescue her. Her fear was realized when she saw Kollan rush forward and draw out his sword. "Let my mother go. Father!"

Robert laughed.

"Your mother? Kollan, your mother is dead. This woman is not your mother. She's the lady who killed her."

"Liar!, you're the one who killed her, or have you forgotten that I was there to witness it?"

Just then their argument was interrupted by the crying of baby Maggie. Hearing the bairn cry, Robert grinned and began making his way towards her.

"It looks like I didn't smother the babe when I killed Margaret, here's my chance to do so."

"Don't you dare, harm my baby."

Bella screamed at him. Robert only laughed harder in reply. Kollan rushed forward and stopped in front of him, blocking his way from where his baby sister was.

"Get out of my way, boy,"

Robert screamed at him. Kollan shook his head and stood even more firmly. Robert pushed him out of his path by throwing him hard to the wall. Looking at his son in disgust, Robert ignored him and made his way to the room that held the bairn. Bella rushed to Kollen's side and attempted to wake him. When she heard Maggie's cries cease, Bella, cringed inside. Fear for her daughter, made Bella brave her fear and made her move into the nursery. She gasped as she saw him standing over her cradle with a pillow in his hand.

"No. Get away from her."

She cried as she rushed at him. She took away the pillow from his hand and pushed him away from the cradle. Bella reached into the cradle and held Maggie in her arms, and held her to her heart all the closer. Robert got up from the floor and slapped her across the face and attempted to wrestle the baby away from her. His strength left him immediately when Bella heard the sound of a sword pierce his flesh. Robert looked down at his chest and seeing the sword sticking out of his chest, the color on his face paled. Then he crumpled to the ground. After seeing the still and dead body of Robert Crane laying at feet, she began to cry. She was then wrapped up in the arms of her father, with Maggie lying between her and her father.

"There, their lass. Everything is done. No more harm will come for you and your babies. Now, dry your tears. I am sure that you are wanting to be reunited with Cambryn."

Bella sniffed and wiped away her tears from her face and nodded her head at her father.

"Yes. I am. But first, could you hold Maggie for me while I attend to Kollan?"

Tearlach smiled as he held out his arms and accepted his granddaughter. He then placed a kiss on her tiny cheek and smiled again when he heard the bairn giggle. He then followed Bella out of the nursery and made his way to his grandson, to see how badly the lad faired.