Merlin

I woke sadly. It had been exactly 10 years since my kingdom was taken by my uncle Agravaine. I had lost everything to him. Even my family.

To avoid gaining attention my family split up. My father died in the battle. My older brother, Thomas, had taken our little sister Danielle. My mother went alone. And I was by myself as well. I was jealous of my siblings. They had each other. I was all alone. I heard a knock on my door. "Merlin if you don't hurry you'll be late in waking your king!" "Thank you, Gaius!"

I ran out the door after tugging on some clothes and scarfing down the bread Gaius gave me. I rushed to get Arthur's breakfast before entering his chambers. I put the tray on his table and pulled the curtains open. "Good Morning Sire." "No, you dollophead!" "It is time. Do you want your food to go cold?" He stretched and got out of bed as I grabbed his favorite red tunic and black pants from the wardrobe. "Merlin?" "Yes, sire?" "What's wrong Lin? What happened?" "What are you speaking of sire? Nothing has happened. I am fine. You clotpole!" I tried to appear happier and return to our usual banter. "Lin?" I turned and Arthur was inches away from my face. "Yes?" "Would you like to know how I know you're lying to me?" I sighed. "Please." "You are calling me sire. And not to annoy me." "Arthur you need to eat and change so you can get about your kingly duties." He sighed and stared at my eyes for a while. "Fine."

He ate most of his food and I was now helping him dress. There was a knock at the door. "Enter." I pulled down his shirt definitely not noticing how well built he was. Gawain entered the king's chambers. "You have knights in the throne room." "Then tell them to wait! If the knights wanted me they could have asked!" "They aren't our knights... sire." "I told you not to call me that. Where are the knights from?" "They say they come from the kingdom of Pax." I tensed. Arthur continued talking. "Ah, they are with King Agravaine." "All I know is that they must speak with you." "You are dismissed." Gawain turned to leave. "Later Merlin!" "Goodbye, Sir Gawain." He flipped me off as he left Arthur's room.

I finished dressing Arthur and we walked to the throne room. Those were my knights. I stood almost behind Arthur's throne as he spoke with the knights. "Our names are Phillip, William, Thomas, and Miles." I gasped silently. These truly were my knights! "Well, what are you doing in Camelot?" "Our kingdom was taken over by our king's brother. Our king was killed defending his kingdom. But the rest of his family escaped. We are looking for the second born son of our passed king to take back our kingdom." "Well if he's here then to do tell me. What is it?" "His name is Prince Merlin." Arthur started laughing. "Well, certainly not my Merlin! Speaking of. Merlin, please fetch me some wine." "Yes My Lord." I walked out from behind the throne and looked, as my friends stared in awe. I brought Arthur his wine. "Can you bring the men to rooms for them to stay in?" "Yes, Arthur."

I walked over to my knights. "Sirs Phillip, William, George and Miles may I escort you to your rooms?" Phillip nodded and my friends walked behind me until we reached their rooms. "Merlin is it really you?!" I chuckled. "Did you miss me?!" We all hugged and laughed for a while. "So you're really his manservant?" "Yes, I am." The men laughed. "Why aren't you a knight? You have the skills." "I needed to lay low. And I couldn't do that while being a knight of Camelot." "Does he know of your status or your magic?" I laughed. "His father was against magic. It's illegal here. And no I haven't told anyone but Gaius." "Illegal?!!"William erupted. "Do you've any idea how dangerous it would be if he were to find out!!!!" "Will! Hush!" I put my hand over his mouth.

"How are Thomas and Danielle?" "Oh, Merlin..."Miles spoke solemnly. "Thomas he... he was murdered by Agravaine." "Tommy's dead?" "We're sorry Merlin. But you are now the rightful king of Pax." My friends and knights bowed down to me. "I should see if the king needs me." "Hehehehe the other king you mean." George laughed. "I'm the king now Georgey. I can throw you in the stocks anytime I please." The men laughed as I headed to Arthur's chambers.

"Sire?" I knocked. "Enter." I walked in to see Arthur shirtless. "We're going hunting now Merlin. Help me get ready." "Yes." I grabbed some less king-like clothes and more appropriate things. "I'll ready our horses." Arthur nodded and I went to the stables. I packed our bags and got his weapons. I felt someone's hand cover my mouth. My eyes widen and I struggle to get out of their arms but the person tightened their grip around my body. I slammed my elbow backward and turned to face my attacker. It was Arthur! "Oh! I'm so sorry my lord! Had I known it was you I would have never-" I was interrupted by Arthur. "You're stronger than you look. Let's head out."

We rode with our usual chit-chat and listening to the sounds of nature. We dismounted and began walking around. "So then Sir Gawaine was-" Snap. I put my hand over Arthur's mouth. I sent him a look saying 'Let's go now!' Arthur began dashing to the horses with me behind him. I was grabbed from behind. They placed their hand over my mouth as Arthur had earlier and I felt something collide with the side of my head. I bit back any sound of pain I had. Arthur couldn't come back for me. He needed to be safe. I needed him to be safe.

I felt the warm trickle of blood running down the side of my head as my vision blurred and faded to black.