Chapter Seven- The Infestation

The next few days consisted of a feeling of safety and paranoia. I felt safe under James' watch but terrified when I was alone. University was harder than ever, I avoided the girls in my class and watched my back constantly. I always felt like someone was behind me and honestly every night I thanked the stars that I wasn't killed or kidnaped. James would always assure me that I was safe and that he wouldn't let anyone hurt me. I knew that he couldn't always be with me though, there would always be opportunities for whoever was watching me to attack.

James and I would spend the night together every night. Our sex life was more active than ever, it felt like we lived together. Half of me was thankful for the brick being thrown for the window, it saved mine and James' relationship. The other half hated the person who made me feel insecure and unable to relax. I was constantly torn between two worlds.

I began to wonder if something was wrong with me. My legs were always itchy and hives covered my skin. The only thing I could pin it down to was the stress of the last few months. Nobody else in the house had any bumps and nobody was itchy. I felt like a complete mess. I decided I needed to see a doctor that very day, I just wanted to feel better again.

"Uh actually Lily those aren't hives. I would say that you've been a good meal for fleas. They're flea bites. Have you noticed fleas in your home?"
The doctor continued to analyse the back of my legs, her hand checking every single mark.
"Fleas? I don't think I've seen any?"
"I'll prescribe you some stuff to stop the itching and prevent infection from scratching. I'd recommend vacuuming all your floors and washing your bedding. If you still continue to be bitten you may need to get an exterminator in."

How the heck did I get covered in flea bites? I've hardly been alone over the last few weeks, why was I the only one who had bites? Again, I had something to worry about.

I rushed home to check through my bedroom and the rest of the flat. I pulled my bed apart and vacuumed each sheet and mattress side. I saw no bugs anywhere, no indication of what caused my bites. It felt like someone was messing with me, either that or I was hallucinating the entire situation. I was living a nightmare. I was sure the bites would stop and eventually heal, I just had to wait it out.

It was my first night without James for a while and I already felt unenthusiastic about sleeping alone. I had been tossing and turning all night, mostly looking at things on my phone. My legs felt itchier and itchier until it became apparent that I could feel something crawling all over my lower body. I threw my blankets off my legs and turned the lamp on to check my exposed legs. Fleas were covering my ankles, hardly any skin could be seen. As the sheet ripped off their bodies they flicked into the air and onto the bed. There were so many of them I didn't know which to grab first. I jumped out of bed and ran towards the bathroom, sliding them off with my hands at the same time. Many had come off but others were incredibly persistent, jumping back on seconds later. I decided to draw a bath with scorching hot water. The water fell from the tap while tears fell from my eyes. I was sleep deprived and feeling down on my luck, something needed to change.

The clear water turned into speckles of brown as the fleas fell underneath the water to the bottom of the tub. In a sense I felt envious of the drowning fleas. Life wasn't very enjoyable at the moment. I made sure all of the fleas were off my legs and then went outside. I didn't want to sleep inside the house, I felt dirty. I lied down on the porch swing and switched my phone back on. It was nearing dawn, the birds were getting more and more vocal. I knew I needed to leave for a little while, it was all too much.

I'd buy tickets to fly home to my parents tonight. My course had a break that began next week and I could watch the lectures for this week online. I needed to get away from this town and everyone in it for a while. I wanted everything to be as innocent and optimistic as it was when I was last home. I was slowly getting sick of everyone around me and I needed some time alone where I felt safe. Sometimes I wondered if James only stayed with me because he thought I'd be unsafe if he left me. I was beginning to feel like a burden.

I purchased my tickets off my phone while I sat in the porch. I'd leave just after 5pm tonight. I'd return home in four weeks, hopefully enough time will have passed for everything to chill out. It would also be nice to have some time to myself to sort out my future and what I want, I needed to empower myself.

The sun rose in a romance of colours. Pink and blue mixed together to fill the sky while the colours of fire surrounded the sun. If I could think of one thing to be thankful for this morning it was to be alive to see such a beautiful sunrise. It was almost as calming as watching the night sky. I knew I'd rise again, reborn like the morning sun. I just needed time to recover like the sun, I needed to experience my night time. I also really missed my mum. Nobody could quite make everything seem okay like she did. She would know what to do and she would keep me safe. I don't think I could ever love anyone as much as I love my mum. She has my back more than anyone I know. I'd get an Uber from the airport and surprise my family, they'd be excited to see me.

I spent the rest of the day covered in material to stop the fleas biting my skin. Bandages, socks and jeans covered my legs as a protective shield. I carefully selected clothes that had not been anywhere near my bed or carpet to pack into my suitcase for my trip. I then called a flea exterminator to book an appointment for tomorrow. By the time I come back my room should be flea free. I still had no idea how so many fleas got in just my bedroom at once. A couple I may have thought would have hitched a ride on my shoes or clothes from somewhere else. That many though is strange, I'm sure I would have noticed if a few were there and breeding over the last few days.

Call it paranoia, but I decided to buy a camera for my bedroom. I would set it up somewhere hidden this afternoon before I left, then connect it to my laptop. That way I could keep an eye on my room while I was gone and see if anyone was messing with me. I decided I wouldn't tell anyone about the camera just in case, not James and not Sienna. It was my own secret.