Chapter Fourteen- The Revelation

I always turned my phone off when I went to sleep. It meant that nothing would come through and wake me up in the night, it also helped me feel disconnected from the world and relaxed. When I turned my phone on the next morning, I had several missed calls from James. I figured the police hadn't caught up with him, I decided to forward each one to Sergeant Henderson and to not respond to any. This was all too crazy for me. James promised me he loved me and how he didn't mean for any of this to happen. Yet he still let it all happen. He caused it all for some reason.

Sergeant Henderson was very interested in the texts and assured me that they have several leads on where he is. He also promised me that they would catch him by this time tomorrow. I took it all with a grain of salt as I knew that both men were telling me what I wanted to hear for their own benefit. I decided I would try not to think about any of it today.

I got ready and drove to the doctors. Mum offered to come with me but I felt like I needed some time alone. Everyone had been really helpful but not having any space had been a little overwhelming. It was nice to spend the drive with my own company. The sound of the wheels on the road calmed me. I already felt like today was going to be a better day.

"Hi Lily, nice to meet you. I'm Doctor Lee. What seems to be the problem?"
I wondered where to begin, do I explain my physical symptoms before explaining everything happening in my life that could be causing it?
"Uh I've had a huge amount of stress lately and because of it I've been experiencing intense nausea and headaches."
"I see, are these frequent symptoms or just when something's happening?"
Dr Lee leant closer to me, as if he was checking my face for symptoms.
"Well everything has been happening constantly actually so it's hard to say."
"Okay. You're probably right, that it's stress related. I would like to run some tests though just to be on the safe side."
I found it frustrating that I had to provide a blood and urine test when I knew whole heartedly how stressed I was. If only Dr Lee knew half of the stuff going on. Reluctantly I provided all the samples and returned to Dr Lee's office.

"Lily, there is just one more test I'd like you to take. Just because of the symptoms you described I think it would be good for you to just take a pregnancy test as a precaution."
"Okay but there's no way I could be pregnant. Honestly it's all stress."
"That's fine, let's just do this quick test and then we can assess the other results."

I took the test the doctor handed me and went to the bathroom. As I was peeing on the stick my phone started ringing. I checked the screen and saw that it was sergeant Henderson. I pulled up my pants and answered the phone.

"Hello, Lily speaking."
I left the bathroom and handed the test back to the doctor. He instructed me to wait in the waiting room until he came back with the results. It would only take a few minutes.
"Morning Lily, it's sergeant Henderson here. Just calling to let you know that we managed to catch up with James. We arrested him at the border. It appears he was alerted prior to you going to the police station and decided to make a run for it. We got him just in time."
I imagined James in hand cuffs, sitting in the back of a cop car. I felt a wave of relief come over me, there's no way he can get to me now.
"That's amazing news, thank you."
"Not a problem. One other thing, James wasn't alone. After his arrest he admitted that he had an accomplice. That accomplice also admitted that they were heavily involved."
"Oh, can I ask who?"
I wondered if it was one of James' class mates. I didn't expect to recognise the name.
"Ah, a miss Sienna Miller."
"What?!"
"Yes, both parties were involved and have been arrested."
I felt more betrayed than ever. My best friend and my boyfriend were messing with my head over a series of weeks. I just couldn't understand what made them do this. Had I done something to them?
"Oh my god."
Once again I was sick to my stomach with the disturbing news.
"Yes I trust this may be a bit of a shock. We will need a secondary statement from you within the next week. I'm sure you'll hear more details at that point as well. They're both blaming each other at the moment."
"Well thank you for all your hard work Sargent Henderson. I really appreciate it."
"You're very welcome Lily. I hope things improve for you."
"I'm sure they will."

I hung up from Sargent Henderson and was left alone with my thoughts in the waiting room. I watched the families next to me, they all seemed so happy. Not one person looked as distressed as I did, I wondered if I could ever feel relaxed again.

"Lily, we are ready for you."
I was being called back into the doctors office, I had been here for ages. This morning was already incredibly draining, I just wanted to go home. I went inside Dr Lee's office and sat back down in the assigned patient seat. I wondered how long I would have to wait until he just prescribed me medication for stress.
"Alright Lily, the test is back."
Dr Lee walked towards me, holding the stick. I wondered if he ever felt gross about holding a stick some stranger peed on.
"This may come as a surprise to you, but according to this test you're pregnant. Once your blood tests come back we can confirm for sure but it is looking correct."
Every word Dr Lee said started echoing in the back of my head. It felt like the building was getting bigger and I was getting smaller, I was being swallowed whole.
"How long will it take to get the blood test results back."
"We should get it back by later this afternoon. We will call you to come back in today."
"Okay thank you doctor."

My eyes were glued to the ground and I couldn't wake myself up from the daze I was in. I walked out of the doctors and drove home. Everything was so robotic, it was like my mind had shut down. I knew I was in shock but I was unsure which part of the day had caused the most shock.