Chapter Thirteen- The Runaway

I decided I owed Sienna an explanation of what I had found. She seemed so confused and concerned when I last saw her that I was beginning to feel bad. We detoured back to my flat and I knocked on the door, hoping she would answer.
I knocked several times but the house stayed silent, I heard no movement and the door remained closed.

"Sienna, it's just me. Can you open the door?"

Nobody responded and Sienna still didn't open the door. I pulled my key out of my pocket and once again unlocked the door to the flat.

"Sienna?"

I checked every bedroom but Sienna was gone. Her bedding missing and most of her belongings. I figured I must have scared enough sense into her to go somewhere else. After all, the flat wasn't safe until James was caught. I decided I would send her a text explaining everything instead. My mind switched back to my situation and I realised I had no where to live here. I would have to go back home for a while.

"Was Sienna there?"
My dad watched me from his rear view mirror as I did my seat belt up.
"Nah. I think I talked some sense into her about living there during all of this. I'll just send her a text."
"So where to now then?"
"I think just back to our house. This city doesn't feel right at the moment. I need to be away from it all."
"Okay home it is."
The city got smaller and smaller as we drove towards our home. In my mind, each person got smaller and smaller as well. The further away I was, the less relevant anyone was.

I composed and sent a text to Sienna explaining everything I had discovered. I also explained how I had no idea why he did any of it. I hoped she would understand and wouldn't be mad at me for bringing this guy into our lives.

I checked my phone every few seconds, I was anticipating a text from Sienna or sergeant Henderson. Surely, someone would let me know what was happening soon. I assumed James hadn't been found yet, I hoped he didn't know anything. I needed him to be caught and kept as far away from me as possible. I was scared he could really hurt me.

It was only late afternoon by the time we arrived home but again I was feeling sick. Mum was concerned about my stress levels and thought I may be at risk of illnesses because of it all. She called the doctor and booked an appointment for me in the morning. I didn't think the doctor would be able to fix any of this, only the police could at this point and I still hadn't heard from them. James was out there somewhere and for all I knew he could be on his way to me. It could be really bad, especially if he knows I informed the police.

My thoughts were turning me into a complete wreck. I was scared for myself but I was also worried for James. I was so mad at myself for caring about him after all of this. I missed the old James but I knew that the perfect James didn't really exist. This was who James was, a criminal. I had to get used to that idea, whether I liked it or not.

I decided to get ready for bed to distract myself from my thoughts. I searched through my drawers for a clean pair of clothes to wear to sleep. Much to my disgust, all I could find was a shirt I had borrowed from James the last time I stayed the night at his house. It couldn't hurt just wearing it to sleep, right? I mean, it's not like it's him, it's just a piece of clothing. I smelt the shirt as I slid it over my body. It still smelt like James and I felt nostalgic for the old days. I had to keep reminding myself that the James I love doesn't exist. It hurt so badly. I just wanted to wake up from this nightmare, this couldn't be my life.

I tossed and turned as my sheets stuck to my legs. I couldn't get comfortable and my mind wouldn't be quiet. Different theories ran through my brain as I went through every memory I had of James. What had I missed? There had to of been something he did that indicated what he was planning. My headache returned and I decided to sit outside on the deck to get some fresh air. My only friend, the moon, kept me company as I hid from the rain.