2-7-0

Rays of sunlight beamed through the windows, lighting up the dull classroom. An hour had already passed and you were bored out of your mind at staring at the clock.

"5 and a half hours left of school, an hour left for break," you sighed, "Why did I come here again? Oh yeah, I came for a change of pace and to become 'Elite'.  I guess school is the same everywhere you go,"

"All right class, we will be learning 'Headings' today, please turn to page 78,"

The whole class groaned in boredom through the rustling of pages. The only people who didn't was you and a white-lavender haired girl as she concentrated on the board.

"I know, as of recent, the maths curriculum is pretty boring, and I have to agree," the teacher turned around, addressing the class, "But luckily, for you, headings are easy, we can literally get it wrapped up in one lesson. Besides, I already know one person in here who uses headings on a daily basis. And there's always break to look forward to..."

The teacher shot a sideways glance at you before turning back to the board. He then began to explain the various intricacies of 'Headings'. Not that you cared. You were a pilot, headings were part of basic training, so you new it from top to bottom.

"Ok, so can anyone tell me the heading here?" the teacher marked something on the board with a piece of chalk before turning to the class.

"Would that be 270 degrees?"  a student said.

"Correct,"

"Heading 2-7-0..." you thought to yourself, a number that you were all too familiar with. If 13 was an unlucky number and the number 4, or shi as it would sometimes pronounced in Japanese, were considered unlucky.

Then the number 270 would be yours.

It was supposed to be a simple weapons exercise...

__________________________

Death valley, 36.5323° N, 116.9325° W. 1109 hours. July 17th, 2017.

"Woohoo! good shot, Kid!" a pilot yelled escasticly over the radio as you flew over the burning wreckage of the GAF Jindvink, a drone we used as target practice.

You were in the cockpit of an F5E Tiger 2, a plane primarily used for training purposes. Along with a squadron of 12 trainees and 3 instructors, who were piloting F18c Hornets. We were an excited group of trainees due to this being our first live weapons training exercise. The instructors were there to make sure we don't fuck up the weapons or start shooting each other.

You were pretty hyped up after scoring a few kills and were ready for more.

That was until your radio cracked to life.

"Fallon, to Skyknight squadron. We have bogeys of an unknown origin, crossing Death Valley at bearing 2-7-0, angels 6. Maverick, your flight is the only one close enough to make the intercept. If those bogeys open fire or get within 150 miles of Nellis, they're gonna scramble the alert aircraft,"

"Copy," Maverick, your lead, veteran flight instructor replied, "Dizzy, can you confirm?"

"Roger, I got 'em. Tally 8 contacts, 20 left, 30 miles, 900 knots closure,"