#12 Friday Evening "Nothing"

Sitting cross-legged Lacey balanced her glass of wine on her knee as she waited. Seven minutes ago Marie had disappeared behind the bare wall dividing the kitchen and living room. They had finished eating - a simple meal of rice and vegetables - before Marie excused herself, taking the empty plate from Lacey's hands.

Lacey had helped herself to two full bowls and although she was hungry for a third she held back. Marie was already being more generous than Lacey could thank her for. While the sounds of plates clinking in the sink flowed into the room Lacey looked around.

Initially, when Marie had invited her to stay Lacey had assumed they would be leaving the building. The thought of walking in the dark resurged apprehension into her throat.

Though, to her surprise - and relief - Marie took Lacey's hand, leading her up a flight of stairs behind the registers. The stairs took a sharp turn to the right before dead ending at a finished wood door. Unlocked, Marie had opened it and ushered Lacey inside.

"Welcome!" She'd boomed in her circus announcer voice .

Rough wooden flooring covered in tiny knicks spread out before them. Gaining her bearings, Lacey assumed them to be standing over Marie's glass cubicle.

"Feel free to look around." Marie had gestured as she shuffled off to prepare dinner.

Lacey had stood frozen at first. Unsure of where she should move. Finally she followed in Marie's footsteps. Moments before she'd disappeared around the corner that cordoned off the alcove in which shoes lined the wall to the left of the door. Lacey added her own beat up converse to the border and poked her head around the wall.

Her mouth fell agape.

The quaint apartment was sparsely lined with furniture and just as open as the store below. Little structure divided the space, although at one point there must've been Lacey divined as she drew an imaginary line from the two beams that flanked a cut off wall.

The structures, along with the furniture and smartly placed rugs effectively separated the spaces without need for traditional doorways. Bordered by ornate rugs the beam in front of her led to a small sitting area with a mix of antique rocking chairs and sitting chairs.

Lacey wondered if Marie thrifted furniture as well.

Off to her right, the second beam, two feet in diameter sat off center as a couch bearing a busy floral pattern extended on its left side. A glass coffee table and television set up beckoned Lacey to spend a lazy sunday afternoon.

The lone wall separated the pathway connecting the two beam centered rooms. Lacey had wondered what exactly was behind the wall when a loud clang erupted.

"Fucking hell." Marie had yelled making it apparent that the off white structure hid the kitchen.

Lacey had asked if Marie needed any help - not that she was anymore useful in a kitchen than a raccoon. Thankfully Marie had batted her away and she'd been sitting on the couch ever since.

They'd meant to watch a movie, but once Marie had brought out the food they'd struck up a conversation - in between Lacey stuffing her face. They spoke easily, covering the menial tasks of the day, Marie's update on the neighboring building, and Lacey's fight with the filing cabinet.

Lacey sighed, allowing her eyes to peruse the gentle flow of the apartment again. Lining the wall to her right, the wide windows caught her eye. She hadn't noticed them before as it was too dark to see beyond her reflection. She shifted to stand before them. Spanning the length of the wall Lacey wondered how far one could see during the day, or if the sunset caught the tops of buildings as it dove behind the bricks.