#19 Sunday Evening "Show Part 1"

Three boxes stood stacked at the doorway like a cardboard tiered cake. To the left leaning against the door Lacey's mattress and flimsy bedside table. Lacey had tried to convince Marie that she could leave them at the apartment if they were too much trouble to move across town but Marie had insisted.

"You'll need them when you find your next apartment." She had smiled encouragingly.

Hours before Lacey had agreed to move in with Marie on the condition that it was not permanent and they would regroup after her big interview.

The one Lacey's hadn't spent a moment of prep on.

"Alright let's get a move on." Marie went for to pick up a box then paused to scan the mattress. "What if we both carry the mattress and use it like a vehicle to carry the other boxes. You hold one side and I'll hold the other, then we stack the boxes in the middle."

Lacey raised an eyebrow imagining the scene, much like a pharaoh carried down the steps of a pyramid. Yet instead of gold and jewels they would carry three ratty boxes. "And we walk down the sidewalk like that? Isn't your apartment a mile away?"

"Somewhere around there - but there aren't many people out at this time anyways." Marie motioned to the window. Indeed she was right. The sun had begun the set, red and orange light pouring over the tops of apartment complexes.

Lacey fidgeted in her spot. It would be dark by the time they got to Marie's. Lacey's mind raced. Were there street lamps on Marie's block? Lacey couldn't remember - how had she not noticed?

"We can't." She spoke abruptly.

Marie looked up from her place by the boxes as she engineered a better way to make the journey in one trip. "Why not?"

Lacey shook more than shrugged. "We just can't. It's getting late."

"It won't be too dark by the time we get there."

"Marie."

"What's going on Lace?"

Lacey bit at her lip, unsure of how to further her argument. Words seemed unable to form. With one glance back at the fading light Lacey took Marie's hand in hers and ushered her out the door.

This was something Lacey needed to show, rather than tell.  

When I re-read this I mumbled damn UHaul Lesbians to myself ...