-|12|0|-

___________________________________________

I haven't told anyone, not even my mother.

I wanted to be 100% sure that I wasn't being taken for a ride again before I told anyone anything. The way this whole thing went down is suspect . Contracts in the middle of a Saturday night at a party in some hotel? With no HR, no legal, just the man and his family? Tell me that doesn't sound shifty.

I wanted to be sure, didn't want to get Mam'Ntombi's high blood pressure up for no reason. I didn't even let myself get my hopes up. Dixon has fucked me over before, so though I want to trust him, I can't ignore that.

And now that we've slept together...

Sex always complicates things.

I gave up all my power the second I let him put his thumb on my clit. There's no coming back from that and everything else that proceeded to happen Saturday night.

I've been playing that whole night over and over again, praying that he wasn't playing me and hating that even if he was, there's shit all I can do about it.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I got to work this morning and was immediately whisked off into a Zoom meeting with some HR gentleman in Ireland of all places.

It's all legit, and I have to scan over my documents to him tomorrow along with the certified I.D copies of my mother, brother, and Nebula for the medical aid. It's going to take a couple of months to sort everything out, especially the medical aid and housing, but it's all there, I'm on payroll as from next week.

Finally.

Yoh I cried for the longest time in the bathroom after that meeting, I'm not gonna lie. I bawled my eyes out shem.

The amount of relief that is flowing through my body, the weight that has suddenly been lifted off my chest, I can breathe for the first time in a very long time...

And I vow to do everything in my power to show Dixon that this gamble, this chance that he took on me is not for naught. After I hand him the incriminating report for this task that he contracted me for, I am going to give my all to this new position that he so generously bestowed upon me and make him the richest man in the world.

Theirs is a 'private equity firm' full of 'venture capitalists' to make what they really do sound legal and respectable. But Dixon is doing something that rarely done in private equity, which is take the data-driven approach by systematically mining large data-sets for better insights into their investment opportunities.

That's where I come in, since it's a bit of a novelty in this particular industry they're starting small... with me looking into the mining industry in the country, which has about 300 mines in total. It's doable. Difficult, but not impossible. Would probably do even better if I didn't have a toddler and sick patient, but I can do it, I know I can.

Currently I am getting ready to figure out the lunch situation with the forensic accountant lady who came through this morning, and I see Clarissa marching towards my cubicle, and I know she's coming to me because her gaze is zeroed in on me.

We don't really fuck with each other, but are cordial enough to work together if we have to. She's part of the super group of secretaries, her along with the other secretaries and receptionists have become friends and they all eat lunch together in the break room.