Chapter -12

12

I barely slept that night. I woke up at eight and was quickly reminded of the disaster to come when I went downstairs to get breakfast. Mom was in the kitchen talking with Jason. I couldn’t believe he was up this early. When he lived at home, on the weekends he didn’t get up until noon. She glanced at me and I looked away. I made myself a bowl of cereal and sat down next to Jason at the table. Mom poured a glass of orange juice and set it in front of me. I didn’t look at her and focused on the bowl in front of me.

“So Shane” Jason said breaking the silence “are you excited for tonight’s dinner?”

“No” I said.

“Why not Shane?” Dad asked from behind me.

“I don’t want Anna to get scared away.”

Jason laughed a forced laugh. “That’s funny Shane. Good joke” he said in a rough voice. I took a bite of my cereal.

“What should I make for dinner?” Mom asked.

Dad poured a cup of coffee and grabbed the newspaper. He sat down at the table and for once we looked like a normal family. “How about you make chicken” Dad suggested. “You can’t go wrong with chicken.”

“Is chicken fine Shane?” mom asked me.

“Chicken’s good.” We were silent. “And how about those potatoes that you always make on Jason’s birthday. Those would be good on the side.”

“Yeah” Jason agreed. Those were his favorite. “Could you also make some pasta salad too?”

“Yes, of course dear.” I finished my cereal and went to my room.

As the hours went by and the time for Anna to arrive got closer I got more nervous. At six fifteen I heard a car pull up our driveway. I ran downstairs and waited in the kitchen. There was a knock at the door. I waited s few moments and opened the door. It was Lucas. My insides were in knots.

“Lucas what are you doing here?”

“I always come over to your house on Sunday Shane.” That’s right he usually did. Ever since freshman year Lucas came over to my house on Sundays. I had completely forgotten. “Why are you wearing a button up shirt?”

“Lucas I’m sorry, I forgot you usually came over on Sundays. Anna is supposed to come over for dinner.”

He looked shocked for a second but then he smiled. “Oh, I guess I’ll see you later.”

“No wait, you should join us. That way it wouldn’t be completely awkward for her.” I pulled Lucas inside and closed the door. Mom put an extra place on the table and we waited. Lucas was talking with Jason. He wanted to know all about college. An hour went by and I was getting worried. Another half an hour passed and I was almost shaking with worry. Anna was supposed to be here a while ago.

“Shane, are sure you told her the time and the right address?” Mom asked. Jason was looking at me with sad eyes.

“Jason I know what you’re thinking and you’re wrong. Anna wouldn’t stand me up, or my family.” Another half an hour passed. Anna wasn’t answering her phone, or texts. I was beyond worried. The phone rang and I ran to answer it.

 “Hello” I answered fast.

“Is this Shane?”

“Yes. Who is this?”

“It’s Anna’s father. Shane I just got a call from the police department. Anna got into an accident.” What? All the oxygen seemed to leave my body. “Her car was found on the side of the road crushed badly.”