Chapter -13

13

Before I knew it, it was Saturday. Jason was leaving tomorrow to go back to college. I was thinking on the couch when the doorbell rang. I got up and answered it. It was Anna. The cut above her eye had healed and the scratches were gone. It didn’t look like just a week ago she had been in an accident. She wanted to talk and I had finally organized my thoughts. We went to the woods were we could be alone.

We were walking deeper into the woods when I turned to her and asked “The other day you said that you transformed when you got hurt. Do you transform anytime you get hurt?”

“It has to be serious. I heal much faster when I am a wolf.”

“So you were really banged up?”

“I had a broken leg and arm, a fractured wrist, and a puncture wound in my side. Along with a few scratches.”

I accepted that and moved on to a question that had been bugging me for a while. “How long have you been a werewolf?”

“I was turned in 1590, so about four hundred years.” I looked at her shocked. “I know, it sounds impossible. I am different from other werewolves. Most live to only be about a hundred but I have not aged in years. I don’t get weaker, and if anything I get stronger every year.”

“At what age did you stop aging?”

“20.” She smiled at me.

Anna and I talked all Saturday. We walked around the woods and she even showed me their nest. It was the clearing where I saw her two weeks ago. It was so beautiful to be there.

“Wolves won’t attack us will they?”

“No not while I am here.”

“The gray wolf had no problem attacking last time I was there” I reminded her.

“Oh Jared was just playing, I am sorry if he scared you.”

“Wait Jared is a werewolf? The guy I met when I was showing you around?”

“Yeah, that’s Jared.”

“He seems like a jerk to me.” I put my hands in my pockets.

“He is actually a really nice guy. He was just protecting me. He did not want me to get too attached to you and tell the secret.”

“Well, I guess he didn’t his job too good.”

“I would not say that. He did not want me to tell, and I didn’t. You figured it out. He did not count on how smart you are.” She smiled at me.

“But you did tell me. You could have denied it and called me a crazy person.”

Her eyes became serious. “I didn’t want to lie to you anymore. You deserve the truth.”

That brought new questions to mind. “Anna do you have history with Jared?”

“By history do you mean did we date?” I nodded my head. “Yes we did, but it was a long time ago and only for nine months.” Nine months. That didn’t make me feel any better.

“How long ago?”

“Five years ago. I am sure that he has moved on since then. I have seen him go on dates with other girls.”

I was glad to know that it had been a while. My mind was on a new topic. “Anna why the wolves only here in the winter? I mean I saw you some in the summer but that’s because you had moved here. Why did you move here?”

Anna laughed and said “One question at a time.” She took a deep breath and said “We come here in the winter because the woods here are a good hunting ground, and we moved because it was time. We had stayed in our old home as long as we could.”