Shane

Shane

As much as I begged Anna couldn’t stay awake. Her eyes closed and I didn’t know if she heard me say I loved her too. Her eyes closed and soon her breathing stopped. Tears fell from my eyes and I felt empty inside. I howled and the rest of the pack joined in with me. They howled over the loss of their Alpha, I howled over the loss of my mate. I laid down next to her and I laid my head over hers. How could she leave me? How will I live without her? I kept whining and her body was getting cool. Across the clearing I saw the bushes move and then Antony was there. He saw me and I saw as the scene processed in his mind. He ran over and collapsed onto her furry body.

“What have you done to her?” I could hear the pain in his voice. Though Antony and Anna had bad blood between them he still cared for her, maybe even still loved her. Tears poured from his eyes and it made me feel even worse.

I wanted Anna so much. I wanted to hear her soft voice and tell me everything was going to be alright. I wanted her reassurance, I needed her. My heart felt like a cinderblock had been dropped on it. My stomach was turning and I felt sick. A world without her was a cruel place that held no interest for me. I started howling again but they broke up in my sobs. I lost control of everything and I changed back. I was a human again and her body was huge compared to me. I dug my hands into her fur and let my tears fall.

“Anna” I whined. “Please come back to me.” I looked up and blurrily I saw Antony. He stood up and looked at me sadly.

“Listen to me Shane, I know Anna and I did not get a long but I think Anna deserves to be buried with the rest of her family back in England. Will you let me take her home, where she can rest?” His voice was shaky and the tears were constant.

She deserves that, she really does. But can I really let her go? I have to do what’s best for her. I nodded my head. Antony lifted her and I looked at her face just one more time. Her white fur blew with the light breeze. I put my forehead against hers and closed my eyes. “Goodbye Anna.” Saying goodbye hurt even more and the tears kept coming. Antony walked away and I felt so empty without her. I fell back and misery didn’t explain how I felt. Tears poured from my eyes and remembered all the wonderful times I had with her. I saw the last glimpse of her when Antony walked into the bushes and then she was gone.

“Kill them all.” I looked over and the pack was attacking the three humans.

Life without Anna was hell and for next few weeks after her death I fell into a spiraling depression. Oliver thankfully saw me before I fell too far. He picked me up and took me under his tutelage, just as Anna did. Oliver took over as Alpha since Anna had trained him to be Alpha. He did the same and he taught me to be Alpha, just as Anna had taught him. A month after her death we left Michigan. We relocated to Minnesota, and the woods there were almost as good as those in Michigan.

Even with everything, every day was a struggle. To move on and to not associate everything with Anna, or how she would have loved this new home.

2 Years Later

The first year without Anna was difficult but with the second things improved. I still missed her and every day I wished she was there with me, but with the help of the pack things got better. Jared and I got along, and we even hunted together. We were a merciless team that brought back an abundance of food for all. Clayton was a fierce protector for us all. He kept our territory clear and with him on watch we never had to worry. Oliver was a great Alpha. Sometimes he seemed too strict but it was all for the pack, to keep all of us safe. Anna taught me that. ‘The pack comes first’ she would always say. She was so selfless, and perfect.