A Perfect Piece of Art

Rain still patterned on top of the tents in the camp as well as the bodies were entering the site. The next step of the day was to eat what was left and will be named dinner. Everyone's stomachs were screaming out for food to fill their bellies and have a new bar of energy to last them until the sunset.

Speaking of sunsets, it was setting behind the naked trees and rays of light hit the camp.

Hawk took a short moment to feel the hours are running low, she turns away from the sunset and walks to Leo at the blue cooler. "Leo?"

He glances at the wolf. "Yes?"

"When we are human again, what then?" She sat down by the mutant as he searches through the cooler.

"Well, if you want to you can live with us and--" he stopped because he knew she had something more important in mind. Hawk's ears lower. "Or see your family..." He was gonna miss her when things are going back to normal.

"We'll figure it out. We always do, right?" She said.

Leo agreed. "You are right." His eyes locked on hers and then back to his hands that had what his family and friends could eat. "Look, here." His hand let the plastic bag dangle. "Jerky and apples. I guess only one of you will eat fruit and that is Griz. The guys and I will separate the portions."

Hawk responded to his words with silence and goes in the opposite direction. She passes by Donnie, Raph, and Mikey doing their part in the camp. She looked ahead on the far side of the small area and sees the other three animals are staring at the sunset. They named the different colors of the dim sky.

Shado called the oranges closer to the sun peach, tiger, carrot, pumpkin, tangerine, and apricot.

Kri named the pinks halfway to the sun blush, flamingo, taffy, rose, crepe, punch, and Rouge.

Griz enjoyed calling the blues farther away from the sun sapphire, baby blue, cornflower, and Maya.

The huge wolf named the sun a solid white pearl in the sky. She sat beside Shado's right side to admire the view and inhale one last memory of the forest sun.

All four animals were sharing this moment because they know that they will never get it again unless they were human and lived in the same area. The big bright ball in the sky was bright enough to come through the thin smoke. It almost seemed like the sun was showing off.

As these friends were enjoying this, Leo separated five apples and fifteen jerky pieces. Griz was going to get one apple and one jerky. The mutant turtles are chosen to get two pieces of jerky each with one apple. And the other three animals get two pieces of jerky.

Leonardo side at the picture he was looking at because it wasn't enough to feel their bellies halfway but it was better than nothing. He looks up to Donnie sorting the food in clumps and finished up with a light clap from both hands

"That's that." He said. "Shall we serve everyone?" Donnie sees that Leo isn't paying any attention to his words, he is too busy watching the sunset too.

Raph and Mikey were already standing behind the four animals. In their heads, they were going to make sure the last few hours have never happened. It is more important to focus on what is happening now than what had happened in the past. Leo and Donnie get up from the camp's log with the food. They were staring at the colors, not the sun.

Raph grinned. "This is beautiful."

"It certainly is." Kri replied.

They all stare at the colors like there was no tomorrow or the last sunset of earth's lifetime.

Donatello took a picture with his one of his devices and snapped the image into his device. He takes a quick look and was happy with the way it looked from behind. All four animals are looking at the sunset together. That's when he and Leo pulled out everyone's dinner.

The dry jerky and juicy apples are passed around to hands or mouths. After the meal was given, the mutants and quads sighed in awe as they watched the colors of the sun's colors changed. Going from orange, pink, blue, indigo, and into the dark night. It won't take long for twinkling stars to rule the night with a bright white moon.

No owls hooted in the trees, neither did a crying mouse on the ground or bloodthirsty mosquitos. The air was still too thick to breathe in but it didn't stop eight friends from enjoying the night.

Leo pointed out the Leo the Lion constellation, Raph spotted Orion the Hunter, Mikey caught the shape of the Big Dipper, and Donnie found the Pegasus and Ursa Major constellations. These stars have been around for millions of years and still look their best during the night. A piece of art like this never wears off.

No planes, helicopters, or satellites disturbed the view. It was like time had gone way back to where there was no chaos and madness. Just peace and prosperity.

Griz puffed out air. "I wish it would stay like this forever." She said. Her dark eyes gaze at the dancing stars show off their greatest twinkle.

Hawk responds. "One day it will. When all of us are not here."

It was quiet after those words were given because it made all eight minds think of what earth will be like if no humans are on it. Trees and animals will take over.

"To be honest with you, guys," Shado says. "I think earth would be better off without humans if you think about it."

"Why is that?" Mikey asked raising an eyebrow ridge.

"Well animals like wild tigers and elephants, are being taken away from their homes. We caused the black rhino to go extinct. Global warming, pollution, tearing down homes, wars between countries, terrorist attacks, conflict. We're sort of like monsters. Humans are destroying their own home." She pauses. "And we are scratching away this wonderful piece of art... Why can't world peace come already?"

The white tiger beside the king cheetah rests her big round head on Shado's crown. "It'll come one day. Humans will soon find a way to make things right and deal with problems properly. Maybe not today, tomorrow, or the day after. But it will come one day."

The leader in his blue mask smiled. "To world peace." Leo nodded once, placing a hand on Hawk's back.

"To world peace." Raph repeats with a hand resting on Kri's striped back. Mikey and Donnie do the same to the bear and cheetah. All jerky and apples are gobbled down and warm bodies are ready to hit the sack for the next day.

Sunsets, night skies, nature, and innocent animals are artwork. And one day the eight friends wish to witness the day earth will be at ease after hundreds of years...

****

I FINALLY UPDATED!!!