Chapter 18: Respect To Respect

Kha had spent the entire day into the night being briefed about the Persian Princess'—or rather—the Persian Queen's achievements and plans for her invasion of Egypt. As was expected, she did not tell him everything but at least she acknowledged that fact and told him he would get to know every little thing as time went on. She needed his trust. When Asire said this, Kha had been watching her up to that point and her body language and expressions challenged her very statement. The way her eyes uncontrollably flickered wherever he gazed or even to himself, she looked like she was already far from merely trusting him but she needed a front to keep for everyone to see. No one was particularly pleased with the arrival of the Egyptian god, but there was nothing they could do, especially when he was immediately made an equal of the Princess.

    Hours had gone by and it was late into the night. Kha had taken care of himself and fallen asleep after having some difficulties in trying to do so the first time. It did not make the task easier once his eyes closed, and it was the images and nightmares and sent him spiralling out of control. These were not like the ones he had before in the past; they had disturbing natures but these ones, even though he knew the truth behind them, thrived to sear his mind and body with pain. The scenario was endless, like pieces of a memory in an never-ending loop—but it was exactly that. Kha saw Ametis' hand grabbing his shoulder before her knees gave way and she collapsed down into his arms, bleeding out from under him. The placidity in her face, the hint of terror she tried to fight back but still did not manage to in his eyes. He then saw Asire running her tongue along his blade, her devilish eyes taking pleasure in tracing the Queen's blood on it. He shifted uncomfortably in his sleep as a new image came into his mind. There was dark mist surrounding the image but it slowly cleared and he saw an ethereal light surrounding a dead Ametis. Dead?! Kha twisted, his head snapping to the side, and his hands lashed out for the covers that shielded his waist down. As if he was in the room himself, the dream allowed him to move and he saw them.

    Standing tall in different well-placed positions in the chamber were 12 tall, half decayed human and skeletal demons from the Underworld. He knew of them from his brother Anubis and also from Ametis, who told him they watched over his body when he had died. Now here they were, watching over her own and guarding the huge chamber like predators. In darkness, one could only see the outlines of their dark towering forms, the glint of their cursed spears from the flickering torches, and their hollow black eyes that glowed with gold and tinges of red. None of them seemed to notice his presence but he knew deep down they did, especially when one turned right in his direction and grinned. Kha felt something against his face and his eyes shot open.

   "What is the matter with you?" Asire snapped loudly over his head.

    The slap stinged Kha's face and he was shocked out of his skin both mentally and physically; no one had ever slapped him before. His body shot up and he immediately reacted by slamming his palm against Asire's throat, forcing a shortened gasp from her. Kha's eyes flashed angrily at the young girl as her fingers came over to retaliate over his strong grip on her neck, unsuccessfully slipping against his skin. Asire's lips parted slightly, soft but sharp breaths tearing her vocals. Her chest rose and fell with every struggle.

   "K-Kha ss-stop," Asire hissed breathlessly and her pretty eyes rolled back, somehow looking like a sensual act rather than one from pain. "Stop."

   "Asire," Kha murmured quietly, his eyes trailing over her face as if trying to recognize who she was. "Get out." She noted the color change in his eyes and calmed herself down once they shifted back into their lighter parallels. Kha removed his hand and, uncertainty spreading over his face, moved futher up the bed—away from Asire. He turned his head to the side and hurled the covers up over himself.