o n e

chapter | one

   IT WAS EARLY spring; the beautiful sakura trees had blossomed their vibrant shades of pink. The scene was breathtaking; appreciated and awaited eagerly by the villagers of Konohagakure, a beautiful village, whom celebrated the blossoming of sakuras yearly. It was chilly, of course, but there was nothing a sweater couldn't fix.

     An unexpected breeze whipped through the air, knotting a silver-headed man's hair into a disheveled mess. He huffed silently, brushing a wild strand of silver-colored hair from his face. The elements of Konohagakure were much more extreme that morning than he had expected, and he regretted leaving his apartment unprepared. He was specifically assigned by the Hokage to patrol the streets of Konoha, seeing that multiple ninja had reported an unfamiliar chakra presence throughout the village.

     The sun slowly inched past the horizon, the villagers of Konohagakure beginning their day with an early morning stroll, taking in the beautiful scene of sakura petals spread across the gravel paths. As the silver-headed ninja wandered through the village, he began to lose track of his mission, too mesmerized by the breathtaking sights before him. The scene was peaceful, almost perfect— that is, until that unfamiliar chakra presence made itself known. He had sensed the enemy ninja— almost immediately— there was no doubt this was his target.

     Weaving through the crowds, the silver-headed ninja advanced toward the chakra presence, masking his own in the process. As he approached the target, he felt his heart beating against his ribcage at a rapid pace. He was confused— why was he so nervous? Blending within the crowds of villagers, the silver-haired ninja soon came across a young girl, no older than thirteen, leaning against the base of a sakura tree. She hunched over slightly, an expression of discomfort visible upon her face. She clutched her abdomen, clearly in a state of pain. No doubt— she wasn't supposed to be here.

    A feeling of fear suddenly resounded throughout his body, paralyzing him. He blinked in shock, mouth slightly agape, clutching his chest in a state of panic. Why does his body feel like this?? Unknowingly, his chakra presence had revealed itself, earning the attention of the young girl, who disappeared within a split second, moving swiftly through the treetops despite her immense pain.

     He stood there, momentarily in shock, unable to process what had just happened. Quickly, he regained his composure. Grasping the hilt of his kunai, the silver-haired man dove swiftly through the trees and after the trespasser. He glided through the air effortlessly, catching up to the young girl in mere seconds.

     Charging toward the girl, the silverette wrapped his arms around her waist, dropping down to the soil below. As they landed, the young girl elbowed the man, striking his stomach with a surprising amount of force. Stumbling backward, the man grasped his abdomen, watching the girl collapse in intolerable pain.

     Upon closer inspection, a tear was visible in her shirt, revealing a large scar, which appeared to be at least two weeks old. He approached the girl, oblivious to crowd of villagers that began to surround the two ninjas.

     "You're coming with me," He stated simply, lifting the trespasser from the ground, carelessly throwing her over his shoulder. He gritted his teeth together, struggling to walk as the girl began to wriggle against his grasp.

"Let— AGH!!" The silver-headed ninja ignored her pleading all together, making his way through the crowds of villagers that began to applaud, admiring his incredible skills as a ninja.

"You're a wandering-nin, you don't belong here." He began, adjusting the child that was slung over his shoulder. "Who are you, and what do you want, exactly?" At that, the girl tensed, biting her lip in embarrassment. His words were true, and it hurt to hear them.

     "I—" She stuttered nervously, averting her gaze toward the gravel beneath her, the glares of villagers boring into her figure. His words echoed throughout her mind, stinging bitterly. She contemplated revealing her identity to the man, and then she realized— she had been captured. It was pointless to lie at this point.

"[Name]... [Name] [Last]..."