s i x

chapter | six

"—AND THEN WE had to review the transformation justu again!! Can you believe that?!" You and had Sakura left the academy, having made plans earlier to meet at the oh-so-famous Ichiraku Ramen. You've heard many stories about the unforgettable food made within, and you looked forward to trying their most famous dish of all— ramen, of course. It's been a while since you sat down and ate a bowl of ramen, and you were definitely looking forward to it. On your trip to the restaurant, Sakura angrily blabbered on about how a student in her class had graffitied the Hokage Rock, and how their Sensei was so upset, he made them re-take the transformation jutsu test, but she didn't seem like she was finished with her story anytime soon.

"Yeah, that's pretty crazy," You answered distractedly as you pulled your chopsticks apart, preparing to feast on the steaming bowl of ramen that was finally placed before you. The wait for your order was over, much to your delight, and you were more than ready to dig into the steaming dish. Your mouth was beginning to water at the sight of the food, and Sakura's story was the least of your concerns right about now.

"Mm—" Sakura paused, chewing her noodles and swallowing before speaking again. "He's had no family to raise him right, that Naruto! I'm not surprised by his behavior one bit!!" Your eyebrow twitched in offense at her ignorant comment, but you chose to ignore it, and continued to slurp up your noodles.

     As Sakura gulped down another mouthful of ramen, she looked around nervously, placing her chopsticks down before she leaned toward you, lowering her voice down to a whisper.

     "There's a boy in my class," She began, her cheeks turning a bright shade of red. "Sasuke Uchiha is his name; I've always had the biggest crush on him!" Glancing up from your bowl, you slurped the last of your noodles up, snapping out of your thoughts.

     "Hm?" You mumbled, wiping the excess broth that dripped down your chin. You hadn't heard a single word the pinkette had said since the first bite of ramen. You had to admit; that was the best bowl of ramen you had eaten in your life— and the quickest you've eaten it.

     "Graduation is tomorrow, and I'm so nervous!! What if I fail in front of Sasuke?! What if he thinks I'm a terrible kunoichi?!" She plopped back down into her seat, shielding her tomato-red face from your sight, sighing to herself. Who was Sasuke, and why was she so interested in him?

     "I'm sure you'll do just fine, Sakura." You assured her, before lifting your bowl to your lips to slurp the rest of the juice away. Once you finished, you sighed, placing your bowl back onto the table. "I'm surprised at how quickly graduation came!! I should go home and study more."

      "Yeah, I guess," Sakura sighed, stirring the remaining contents of her bowl using her chopsticks. The thought of failing in front of this Sasuke visually ruined Sakura's mood. She must care for him a lot. "But anyways, do you think you'll be able to pass the final exam? What about when we have a written exam? Do you think you're ready yet?"

     She had a point; you were skilled at ninjutsu for your age, but what about when you had to take a written exam? You had practiced your reading over the past few days with Sakura, and you've progressed in your knowledge immensely, but you still weren't in any way close to being at an average reading level.

"I'll manage, Sakura. Anyways, I'll see you tomorrow. I have some serious studying to do." You placed a handful of coins onto the table, before seeing yourself out of Ichiraku Ramen. Earlier, Sakura had offered to study with you before the final exam, but you had shrugged her off, preferring to study on your own. Besides, the only real studying you need to work on is reading. You never liked it, and unfortunately that's what got you into this predicament, but you were beginning to grow fond of it.

. . .

"[Name], you passed!!" Sakuras voiced sounded, and you watched as she weaved her way through the dozens of students that had also passed. You nod quietly, staring down at your hands that held your brand new headband. You knew how to perform many jutsu's with ease, but what if you weren't fit to become a real ninja?

     ". . . That's him, there. . . that's Naruto."

     Everyone went silent as you looked up in surprise, your [e/c] eyes blinking in confusion. Huh? Who was everybody talking about? Curiously glancing around, you notice the dozens of kids eyes trained onto a certain student who sat alone, swinging back and forth on a swing disappointedly. From the lack of a headband, you assumed he was the only student that hadn't passed. The hateful whispering caught your attention, and you clenched your teeth slightly, his lonely state much to familiar to you.

     You let out a sigh of pity, before grasping Sakura's hand within your own, "Let's go, Sakura." Noticing your sudden change in demeanor, she hesitantly nods her head, before following closely behind you and back into the academy.