f o u r t e en

chapter | fourteen

THE SILENCE FELT serene as you stared out into the restless ocean, the gentle breeze ruffling your [h/c] locks. It had been a few hours since your team arrived at the Tazuna, the bridge builders house. The five of you had barely survived your encounter with Zabuza, but ever since you had arrived, your team has avoided you. Your affiliation with Zabuza had made the team wary of you, but you didn't blame them. You reached into your pocket, your chest tightening as the cold metallic headband brushed against your fingertips.

"H-Hey, [Name]. . ." Turning your head, you locked eyes with a familiar pink-haired kunoichi. "Mind if I join you?" You blinked in surprise, before nodding wordlessly. Sakura approached the railing separating the two of you from the vast sea, and she let out a sigh. You bit your lip, staring at her from the corner of your eyes. It's as if she wanted to speak, but was too afraid to let the words out. It would

"Uh, I. . ." You paused, averting your gaze toward the ground. "B-Before Konohagakure, I was a rogue ninja. . ." Gasping, Sakura stepped away from the railing, her emerald eyes staring back at you in shock. Before she could speak, you held a fist against your chest, eyes brimming with tears.

"I've gone my whole life fighting, searching  for a place to call home! Anywhere!!" Your throat burned painfully, tears fighting to break free. "After my village was destroyed, I had nobody. . . I was forced to fend for myself, and that meant relying on anyone, on anything I possibly could to get by! Zabuza just happened to be one of those few people that I relied on to survive. . . He gave me simple missions to complete in exchange for food, and protection, and I thank him for that, even if he is a terrible person. . ." Your [e/c] orbs then met Sakura's, who's eyes were filled with tears.

"I've gone so many years just fighting to survive. . . and now, I feel like I'm finally living!" Wiping the tears that had escaped from your eyes, you continued. "I've finally made friends, and I'm a real ninja! The happiness I feel in Konohagakure is nothing like I've ever experienced before. It feels like. . . like home!" Gentle arms wrapped themselves around your small figure, squeezing you tightly.

"I-I'm so sorry, [Name]! I've been judging you this whole time, and I've doubted you!" Sakura dug her face into the crook of your neck, letting out a sob. "We'll be friends forever, [Name]! Konohagakure is your new home!"  You glanced up, eyes widening as you spotted the rest of your team, watching silently.

"We're sorry, [Name]!" Naruto exclaimed, wiping the tears that escaped from his eyes. Sasuke stared in silence, before his gaze fell toward the ground. Kakashi had smiled under his mask, glad that you have such caring friends by your side, and even more glad that you've found a place to call home.

. . .

"I'd like each of you to climb your highest without the use of your hands, and mark that spot. To do this, you must focus on controlling your chakra." Displaying four kunai in-between his fingers, Kakashi swung his hand, the kunai landing in front each of you with excellent precision and accuracy. As you yanked the kunai from the ground, Naruto let out a cocky scoff.

"This'll be easy, sensei! I'll get this down-packed! After all, you did say I've grown the most!" The four of you readied your stances, gathering your chakra to your feet. Grinning confidently, you rushed toward the tree, planting your foot roughly against the bark. With ease, you had ran up the entirety of the tree, until you had reached the highest branch. Plopping down onto the branch, you watched as Sasuke had struggled to reach a quarter of the distance you had, and Naruto. . . well, at least he's trying?

"[Name]!" You jumped, turning to your side to spot Sakura, who was seated beside you on the large branch. She swung her feet excitedly, before turning her attention toward the boys. "We're totally doing better than them!"

"Well done, [Name], Sakura," Kakashi praised, staring at you both from his own personal branch. "Your chakra control is quite impressive." You smiled, before pushing yourself off the branch, using your chakra-powered feet to sprint back down the tree. Dusting off the dirt from your pants, you readied yourself to sprint up once more, that is, until a hand had grasped your shoulder.

It was none other than Naruto, whose face flushed red in embarrassment. "Say, [Name]. . . uh, can you maybe help me out? I can't seem to figure it out. . . b-but don't tell Sasuke I asked you for help!" Glancing over Naruto's shoulder, you spotted the Uchiha, who stared back at you with jealousy. Glaring, he looked away, sprinting up the towering tree once more.

Smiling, you nodded, earning an excited grin from the blonde. "Of course!" You then leaned in closely, whispering softly. "Alright, so the trick is to. . ."