e l e v e n

chapter | eleven

IT WAS SILENT as you, Sasuke, and Sakura ate— excluding the violent growling that erupted from Naruto's stomach. He forced a laugh, squirming against the ropes that were wrapped tightly around his torso.

"I-I'm fine," He reassured hesitantly, "Don't worry about me!!" The rest of you stared doubtfully as you picked at the food in your bento boxes. You knew how hungry Naruto was, and you pitied him. His stomach growled once more— this was the last straw.

Hesitantly, you picked a chunk of rice from your bento box, then reached over toward Naruto's mouth, "Here, take some." He blinked, his ocean-blue eyes staring back at you in shock— not to mention appreciation.

"[N-Name]. . ." He breathed, his watering eyes shifting between your face, and the food being offered to him. He was flushed.

"Hey, [Name]!! Kakashi-Sensei just said that. . ." She paused, watching as you fed Naruto the clump of rice, who gobbled it down in mere seconds.

"It's fine, I don't sense him nearby," You assured her, continuing to feed the blonde-haired ninja. "Besides, if we're all going to go after those bells— as a team— we need to be at our best. If he's hungry, he'll just slow us down." Sakura stared down at her bento box, before holding it out toward Naruto.

"Here, you can have it all. Save your food, [Name]." She said, offering a smile. "I'm on a diet anyway, so don't worry about me." Naruto's face grew beet-red at Sakura's offering, before his eyes began to water.

"T-Thank you, Sakura. . ." He spoke, before glancing down at the ropes. "But uh. . . how am I supposed to feed myself?" Sakura's temple ticked in annoyance, before she aggressively offered Naruto a clump of rice.

"I'll only do this once," She grumbled, earning a sheepish smile from Naruto. "You hear?!" He nodded eagerly, before graciously accepting the food— and you smiled. It was peacefully silent as the four of you ate your lunch, and you had seemed to forget about Kakashi-Sensei— that is, until a smoke-bomb went off in front of you, surrounding your group in an eerie cloud of darkness.

"You. . ." spoke the familiar husky voice— Kakashi-Sensei!! Emerging from the smoke, the familiar silver-haired ninja glared down at your team of four, the anger in his eyes evident. Naruto and Sakura shrieked in fear of what was to come.

"You broke the rules. . ." He spoke sternly, throwing up a series of hand signs that began brewing a large storm above the clearing. "I hope you're all ready for the consequences." Exchanging a few looks with your team, you hesitantly spoke up.

". . . Kakashi-Sensei, we're a team and that means we'll risk anything for them. . ." Sasuke nodded in agreement as he stepped forward with confidence.

"We're a team," he began, "that means we're in this together, no matter the consequences." Much to your surprise, Sakura stepped forward alongside Sasuke.

"He's right!! We gave him our lunch because the four of us are one!!" Naruto, who was still dangling from the stump, decided to speak up.

"YEAH!! YEAH!! YEAH!! WHAT THEY SAID!!" He shouted as he wriggled against his bonds. Stepping forward, Kakashi's onyx-colored orbs glared down at the four of you.

"That's your excuse. . ." It was silent as he stared, the storm beginning to dissipate. Folding his hands behind his back, Kakashi leaned forward, smiling under his mask. "Well, you pass."

". . . what?"

"You pass," He repeated, chuckling softly. "Congratulations, you're the first squad to ever succeed. Usually, the students listen to exactly what I say. They can't think for themselves."

Sakura blinked, "Aren't we supposed to follow the rules?"

"It's a ninja's duty to see through deception," He began, "In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum— that is true. But, those who abandon their friends are worse than scum." At this, Naruto burst into tears, snot beginning to run down his face.

"H-He's kinda cool, guys. . ." He spoke through sobs. Wiping the tears that welled up in her emerald-green, Sakura agreed.

"The exercise is over," Kakashi announced, "Everyone passed. Squad seven will start it's very first mission tomorrow!!"

An ecstatic grain graced graced your face, and you hugged Sakura with glee. I'm officially a ninja of Konohagakure. . . Grasping onto your kunai holster, you traced your fingers along the engraving of your headband.

Maybe. . . this is where I belong. . .