t w e l v e

chapter | twelve

     "THIS IS SASUKE, arrived at point B."

     "Sakura, arrived at point C."

     ". . ."

     "This is Naruto, arrived at point A, believe it!!"

     Adjusting your mic, you brought it close to your lips, ". . . This is [Name]. . . arrived at point D."

     "Naruto, [Name], you're too slow! Okay, 7th unit, the target has moved. After it!"

     A moment later, the four of you scattered yourselves throughout the surrounding trees. Speaking into his mic, Kakashi asked, "What's your distance to the target?"

     Naruto blinked, "uhh, five meters, i'm ready, Kakashi Sensei!!"

      "I'm ready too." Sasuke spoke.

     Sakura agreed, "Yeah, me too."

     "Same here," Kakashi sighed.

     "Alright, let's go." Immediately, the four of you jumped from the branches, closing in on the target. Naruto, who reached the target first, wrapped his arms around it, struggling to subdue it.

     "Is it the target?" Kakashi questioned, to which you confirmed, watching Naruto struggled to dodge the attacks that were directed toward him.

     "I got you!" He hollered as he wrestled with the scared feline, while the rest of team seven watched unenthusiastically.

     "Mission 'find the missing pet Tora' has been completed." Kakashi congratulated, yet with not much interest. That made five of you.

. . .

"That's enough!! I can't take this anymore!!" The Hokage stared as he watched the blonde genin throw a fit from behind his desk. "These missions are boring, give us anything else. Isn't there any other exciting missions?!" Smiling, the Hokage folded his hands, leaning forward.

     "Alright," He spoke, taking your team by surprise. "I'll have you do a C rank mission." Your eyes widened, blinking in confusion. Suddenly, you felt a wave of gratefulness for Naruto's annoying persistence. "I'll have you escort a certain someone back to the Land of Waves."

      "Seriously?!" Naruto grinned excitedly, stepping forward. "Is it a feudal lord, or a princess?!"

      The Hokage chuckled, "Don't get so hasty, I'll introduce him now." Raising his voice, he called out. "May you come in now, please?"

     The door slid open, and stumbling in was an old, drunk man, holding a large bottle of sake. He leaned against the door frame, running his hands through his greying hair. "Huh, they're all kids?!" He claimed, staring at the four of you from behind his glasses. Taking a swig from his bottle of sake, he asked, "Is the really small one with the stupid looking face really a ninja?"

     Team seven glanced at one another, before coming to the conclusion that Naruto was in fact the smallest one. It was silent, before Naruto's face flushed a bright red in anger.

     He raised a fist in anger, "I'll kill you, you stupid old man!" Grasping the back of his orange suit, Kakashi tugged him back.

     "You're not supposed to kill the person you're escorting." He stated blankly, before attempting to calm him down. Once Naruto was semi-relaxed, the old man began to introduce himself.

     "I'm the great bridge builder, Tazuna." He smirked confidently. "Once I have returned to my country, you will protect my life with yours while I complete the bridge!" Your stomached turned as you observed the old man silently.

He can't be trusted.

. . .

     It was peaceful; the sound of trickling water ran through your ears as you walked across the rickety, wooden bridge that led across a small stream. You glanced up at the others, noting that you were slowly beginning to fall behind. You didn't mind the separation, it was peaceful— especially since a certain ninja's constant complaining was less audible. Taking notice of a small puddle, you slowed down, peering at your reflection against the still water.

     "Don't fall behind now, [Name]." Kakashi spoke, interrupting your scenic moment. Nodding, you began to speed up your pace, before suddenly freezing in fear. There was a sudden spike of chakra— evil chakra. Your eyes widened, before you spun around.

     "Look out, Kakashi—!!" Spiked, steel chained tightened themselves around Kakashi, before cutting him into pieces. "First one." You stared in shock, immediately retrieving a kunai from your holster.

"Second one." Before you could process the situation, a hand grasped the top of your head, using you to boost themselves in the air. Your eyes flickered upward, watching as Sasuke flew toward Naruto's direction. Before the chains that targeted could reach Naruto, Sasuke flung a shuriken, pinning them toward a nearby tree. You spun in your heels, watching as Sakura bravely stood in front of Tazuna, shielding him from the oncoming enemy. Your heart pounded as you watched— you wouldn't make it in time— but a sudden flash of silver took you by surprise. It was Kakashi, whose arm was wrapped around the pair of ninja's necks.

     You let out a sigh of relief at the sight of Kakashi— alive.

     "I'm sorry for not helping sooner, I didn't think you'd be incapable of moving, Naruto." Kakashi spoke, "Anyway, good job Sasuke, Sakura, [Name]." Gaining the attention of Naruto, the raven-ette smirked cockily.

     "Are you sure you're okay, scaredy-cat?" Silencing the fuming blonde before he could respond, Kakashi pulled his arm forward.

     "There's poison in these guy's claws, we're going to have to take it out immediately." Naruto glanced down at his hand, before letting out a gasp at the sight— there was a large cut that went across the back of his hand. "We're going to have to open the wound and leech out the poisoned blood."

     Naruto paled at the thought. ". . . by the way. . ." Turning away, Kakashi laid eyes on Tazuna, who flinched nervously.

"We need to talk."