f i v e

the art of fight

Ivar knew she wouldn't tell him more and it bothered him. He hasn't been that curious in his life.

He realized, she didn't know his name. "I don't know your name, but you can know mine. If you ever decide to talk... I'm Ivar, Ivar..," he almost said boneless, but for once he wanted to be just Ivar. "Just Ivar," the corner of his mouth went up, almost like a smile. She was now fully dressed, looking right at him.

"I'm going out to train with my brothers, will you join me?" his eyes got brighter when he said it. "I want to see what you can do," he added. A nod. Ivar attached the metallic contraption to his legs. He stood up and the girl jumped in offering help, but Ivar too stubborn and proud smacked her hand away. She wasn't expecting that and terrified she stepped back. Ivar instantly regretted it. He grabbed a stick to hold on to. "Come," he told her not waiting if she would. When he heard quiet steps following him, he smiled under his nose.

"It is nearby the forest," Ivar told her loud enough for her to hear him. She stopped. So did Ivar. He looked over his shoulder. She made a step back. "You're safe with me, don't be scared. No one will hurt you. They would have to go through me." She looked at him unsurely. She trusted no one, especially men. Oh, what they have done to her.

She was standing in the same spot when Ivar's hand reached out. She looked at his hand, then back to Ivar's face. Ivar raised his eyebrow waiting impatiently. She bit her lip and touched his hand. When they got to the training section, Ivar's brothers were already training. Ubbe was watching Sigurd and Hvitserk fight with their swords. The sound of metal filled the air. Both of them were equally good. They were striking, blocking the hits and between that, they were smirking.

Ivar slightly bent down to speak to the girl. "Those idiots are: Ubbe," he pointed at Ubbe who was now drinking ale from his cup, "Hvitserk and Sigurd," he pointed at them as well. "Brothers!" Ivar yelled, and they stopped. Three heads were now looking in their direction. "We will join you now," he smiled at them. They weren't watching Ivar, their eyes were focused on the girl, standing behind him.

"You trust her?" Sigurd asked him. That question made her interested in Ivar's answer. "Definitely more than you," Ivar laughed. Sigurd rolled his eyes. He hated when Ivar was acting like he was something more than them.

"Show us, what you can do, girl," Ubbe said while sipping his ale. Hvitserk came closer to hand her a sword. She took it and almost fell with the weight of it. She didn't let them see it. It's been a while since she ate properly and regularly. It made her a little weaker, but she was still strong enough to show them. Ivar sat down, watching her and his brother preparing. There were sparks in his eyes the whole time.

The girl swung her sword, but Hvitserk blocked it with his. He stepped back and swung his sword. She tried to block it, but he was stronger than her. In a snap, his sword was under her chin. Ivar was watching them, clenched fists. He noticed her eyes were looking black. She was mad. She threw away her sword and shook her head. Hvitserk smiled and put his sword down from her neck.

She then did something unexpected. She jumped in the air, made a flip, landed behind Hvitserk, reached out for his knife and put it to his neck. It was so fast, he didn't even blink. Ivar was in awe and clapping. She turned to him and threw the knife in his direction. He didn't move, he was frozen. The knife scratched his ear and ended up in the eye of a stag's head that was pinned to the tree behind Ivar. She smirked at him because she was in her field.

A wave of doubt ran through her body. Was it too much? Ivar touched his ear which was slightly bleeding. He looked at his finger, then his eyes focused on her. He smiled so much he showed off his teeth. "I knew it!" he clapped. Ivar looked at his brother Hvitserk. "Did you pee your pants, brother?" he asked amused. Ubbe and Sigurd were laughing. The girl went to the stag's head to pull out the knife. When she was passing by Ivar, she said one word. "Eira."