t w e n t y o n e

Ivar's fingertips lightly touched Eira's cheek. 

She was stone cold, sweat covering her forehead. Her hands were holding her belly, her breathing was fast and loud. 

"Ubbe!" Ivar yelled at his brother with a worried expression. 

Ubbe kneeled down, right next to his brother. His eyes scanning Eira's whole body. Neither he or his brother could find the source of bleeding. But they both knew Eira was in pain.

When one of their men came closer, bringing Ivar's horse, he spoke up. 

"I've seen this already," he looked at Eira. 

"Then what is it?!" Ivar's voice went up. 

"That's how my wife lost our child," he answered quietly, looking down at his feet. 

Ivar froze and turned around to look at this man. He was holding his breath, his eyes twitching. That can't be right. He looked back at Eira. Was it possible that she was carrying a child? But,- 

His heart dropped. 

Eira was carrying a child from one of those pigs. His heart was aching for her. She had to go through such a terrible experience, she managed to survive and like it wasn't enough one of those bastards made her a child? 

"Ubbe," Ivar managed to say, "take her to my horse. We need to hurry up," Ivar turned around his jaw clenched, his breathing faster. 

The anger took over him, he looked at the Berserker who was sitting close by, watching it all. He wanted to kill, he needed to kill desperately. For a split of a second, the old Ivar was back. No feelings besides the hunger for killing. The darkness was back again, making Ivar ruthless and cruel. 

"You did that! It's your damn fault!" his eyes were burning the Berserker from head to toe. 

No facial expression on the Berserker's face. He wanted to finally die so he raised his eyebrow, to piss Ivar even more. 

All the men were getting ready for a way back. 

Ivar took out his blades, crawling straight towards him. The Berserker couldn't fight back. He was like a broken toy that lost its purpose. 

Ivar's hand grabbed his throat, squeezing it so hard he couldn't breathe. 

"How does it feel? The air can't get to your lungs, you're gasping for it but it won't help. It's burning your lungs and your head starts to pound as if someone was banging it with a hammer. How-does-it-feel?" The Berserker was looking at him, pure panic in his eyes. 

"That's how Eira felt when you killed her parents, when you hunted her like an animal. She couldn't breathe freely because she felt trapped. All because of you," Ivar spat in his face. 

His hand lost his grip a little bit just to give him a taste of air. Just a little bit. 

Ivar didn't notice, but all men were watching him. Including his brother, who wasn't happy. Ubbe didn't care about the Berserker, he cared about Ivar. It was disturbing to see him back with his old behaviour. Ivar the Boneless, the cruel Viking thirsty for blood. It scared Ubbe to see that this part was still somewhere in him. Yes, this Ivar was way better at battles and conquering lands and kingdoms but he was too dangerous and too blind to other aspects of life. 

"Ivar!" Ubbe yelled at his brother. 

Ivar heard but he couldn't let anything to get in between him and the Berserker. He just raised his hand to show Ubbe to let him finish what he has once started. 

"Alright," Ubbe whispered, looking at Eira. He touched her forehead. She was burning up. 

"Hurry!" he yelled at his brother. 

Ivar was in his own world. It was only him and hundreds of ways to kill this bastard. 

"Ivar!" now the voice changed. It wasn't Ubbe, it was Eira calling for him. She was still unconscious, screaming from her sleep. 

It was like a click. 

It was like there were two Ivars fighting inside of him. 

One wanted to stop and get to Eira but the other one wanted to finish the Berserker because it wouldn't have happened to Eira if it wasn't for him. 

The dark Ivar pulled through. 

His hand was still holding the Berserker's throat, the other one was already covered in blood as it went in and out of his stomach. He was repeatedly stabbing him in his stomach and chest. Ivar's crazy eyes were watching the life leaving the Berserker's. 

Right before he died, Ivar was quick enough to whisper in his ear. 

"You will never get to Valhalla." 

Ivar left the blade in his chest, drawing few lines with his bloody fingers on his face. 

He crawled back to his horse. Ubbe tried to help him up on his wooden carriage but Ivar refused. With his upper body strength, he got up, sitting right next to Eira. 

The whole way back he was holding her hand, hoping she will be alright.