t w e n t y f o u r

"Oh, no." 

Eira was starring into the pair of light blue eyes. Pair of hands again tried to grab her but she got away. 

"What are you doing?!" 

"Leave me alone!" she didn't bother to answer his question, mainly because it was none of his business. 

The air was filled with anger and confusion. The water was so cold their every breath came out as a little cloud of steam. 

"Fine. I'm curious what Ivar has to say about it," he began to swim away, towards the shore. 

"Wait, Bjorn!" Eira did the same, following him. 

He heard her but he was acting like he didn't. Eira was only a few feet behind him. Once she was out of the water, she tripped over a stone. With her whole body weight, she fell down like a sack of potatoes. 

Bjorn turned around, immediately returning back. He wanted to laugh but he didn't. Instead, he reached out his hand for Eira to take. She looked up, grabbing his hand. Bjorn pulled her up without moving a single muscle in his body. 

Her whole forearms were bleeding. Little stones got stuck in her skin, creating little wounds that bled. 

"Damn it," she murmured. 

"Come with me. I'll try to fix you up," Bjorn turned around, not waiting for her answer. It was more like a command. Eira just followed him in silence. She couldn't let him tell it to Ivar. No matter what her intentions were. 

Bjorn's hut was plain and kind of sad. There were no things that would make it feel warmer, more like home. One big bed in the corner, fireplace and a little table by the window was all he had. 

When Eira looked around she noticed it wasn't all. On the opposite wall, there were hanging a lot of weapons. From axes to swords, blades, knives and other questionable objects she couldn't name. 

"Sit," he once again commanded. 

"No." 

Bjorn turned around to face her, his eyes burning her down. "Sit," he repeated. 

"You didn't see anything," Eira muttered between her teeth. Her eyes were burning him as well. This game could be played by two and Eira wasn't gonna let Bjorn intimidate her. After what she's been through Bjorn didn't scare her and he didn't know it, which gave Eira a leverage. 

Bjorn smirked. "Oh, you mean your suicide mission?" 

The blood from Eira's forearms was dripping on the floor. Bjorn's eyes looked at her hands.

"You're making a mess in here. Come. Sit. I'll fix you up and then we can talk," he sounded calm. 

Eira rolled her eyes, letting out a frustrating breath. She walked over to his bed, sitting on the edge. Bjorn brought a little bucket filled with water and a piece of cloth. 

He then started really lightly cleaning her wounds. He had to use his fingers to take out those little stones. Some of them were quite deep. 

Here and there he looked at Eira just to know if it hurt her or not. She didn't move an inch, not even her facial expression changed. While fixing her up, he tried to get to know more about her business in the water. 

"Why weren't you asleep?" he asked the first question, not hurrying to the point. 

"Why weren't you asleep?" she answered with the same question. 

"I had to piss," he answered casually, not admitting he had a nightmare and that's why he was up. "Your turn." 

"I couldn't sleep," Eira was honest but kept it simple. She didn't want to give him too much information because she didn't really know him and she didn't trust him. 

"But why did you go to the lake?" 

"I felt like it." 

"Did you want to kill yourself?" 

"That's none of your business." 

The air became thicker and both of them felt it. It was like a secret conversation between them, yet they were strangers. 

"You did, didn't you?" 

Eira looked down, not answering. She wasn't sure herself so she couldn't give him an answer even if she wanted to. 

"No?" her voice went up, she was questioning herself. 

"I don't really know you but you don't strike me as a weak person. You may look like a tiny fragile girl but I've heard about you. I've heard what you did to the berserker. Hell, you could kill Ivar before you blacked out the first time he met you. I heard all about it," Bjorn said while moving to Eira's other forearm.  

"Sometimes I wish I was just a fragile girl," she almost whispered.