t w e n t y s e v e n

It was a strange day.

Right after Eira left, Ivar broke the kissing session.

"What's wrong?"

"Get out," Ivar said before drinking the whole cup.

"What?" she didn't understand.

"Out! Now!" he yelled.

Oili didn't even fix her dress when she ran out. Everyone was kind of afraid of Ivar so when he was serious and mad everyone would get out of his way.

"Another!" he commanded to the girl standing behind him.

She filled his cup again and as fast as she could she brought it back to Ivar, trying to not give him any reason for punishment.

Without a thought, Ivar drank it all at once and then he threw the cup away.

The world around him started spinning. He closed his eyes, inhaled an air through his nose and exhaled. He felt the anger coming through and he didn't want to let it out otherwise, it would end badly for someone.

"Why would you do that?!" Ivar screamed.

"Sir?" the girl was confused.

"Not you, her!" Ivar pointed out at an empty space.

The ale was much stronger than he expected. It started to mess with his head. 

"Why would you do that, Eira?" there was nobody in the room, yet Ivar saw her perfectly clear. 

In his mind, Eira was standing there, right in front of him looking as perfect as she always does. The dark raven hair covering her shoulders, those piercing dark eyes that could see right through him. That cute pointy nose with a few freckles here and there making her look humanly even though she might as well be one of the gods. 

Ivar got off the chair and crawled to the table with ale. He then drank few more cups filled with that bitter liquid.

"It hurts," he murmured. 

When he had enough of ale he passed out drunk on the floor.

Meanwhile:

"Bjorn, where is the Berserker?" Eira totally forgot about him. It's been too much for her these past days.

Bjorn looked over, his face was neutral. Not a single inch of his face moved when suddenly his eyebrows went up. "No one told you?!"

Eira was confused.

"What? Did he ran away?"

"No. Ivar killed him..," Bjorn told her honestly waiting for a reaction. Eira just kept staring back at him unable to form any words. Until she did. 

"He did what?!" 

"The night he found you bleeding out, he killed him," Bjorn told her. 

"Why would he do that? It wasn't his place to do it," Eira looked down. 

"I understand why he did it. If someone I love would have gone through all those terrible things I would want to kill everyone who was responsible for it too." 

Eira was still looking down when suddenly the words coming out of Bjorn's mouth hit her. 

"What are you talking about? Ivar doesn't love anyone, certainly not me. He can't," Bjorn didn't let her finish. 

"Oh, he does have feelings for you. He is good at hiding them. He pretends like he doesn't have any but I've seen him grow up and I know him well." 

Eira was still processing. 

"Ubbe told me about the day you went training with them. You left a good impression I must say. If anyone else would dare to throw a knife at him, they would be dead in a heartbeat. Ivar wouldn't let them live for another minute. Yet, you're here alive despite everything." 

Eira finally looked up. "No, you are blind. Ivar doesn't care about me, he only feels sorry for me." 

Bjorn let out a little laugh. "What?" 

"I am not the blind one here." 

"I needed the Berserker. How could he kill him? It was supposed to be me," Eira totally ignored what Bjorn was talking about. A wave of anger filled her whole body. She stood up and began to walk away. 

"Where are you going?" Bjorn yelled behind her. Eira ignored him again, heading towards the big hall where Ivar was supposed to be. 

"How dare he?" she was having a little monologue while going as fast as she could, even though her body still hurt as if something was missing. In a way, something indeed was. 

The door was closed. Eira put her palm on it to push it open but she stopped. What if she opened them and saw something she wouldn't be able to forget, ever. She imagined Ivar being there with that blonde girl, naked. 

Should I? 

Eira bit her lip, closed her eyes, took a deep breath in and pushed the door open. She slowly opened her eyes, afraid of what might she be looking at. The room was empty and she could finally let out a breath. But where was Ivar? 

"Ugh," someone sighed. Eira immediately grabbed her knife. Without saying a word, she quietly walked around the room, her eyes scanning the space. Someone was lying behind the big chair. 

Eira vigilantly sneaked closer to see who it was. 

"Ivar?" 

"Uhum," he was responsive but too drunk to know what was going out. 

Eira kneeled down next to him. She felt how slowly the anger was coming through. Her eyes spotted a long blonde hair on his shoulder. Eira was still holding her knife. 

"How could you do that?!" she was so mad she couldn't control herself. Without thinking her hand quickly put the knife under Ivar's chin. 

Eira also had a darkness she barely could control. It was hard for her to manage it sometimes so she mostly let it out. But she couldn't this time. 

The blade of the knife was almost buried in his skin. Her hand was trembling because of how much she was battling inside. 

"Eira," her name slipped out of his drunk lips. 

She looked at his face, still holding the knife to his neck. The darkness in her wanted to see him bleed for what he has done. The girl, the berserker. 

"I love you," were the only three words that he said out of sleeping. 

Those three words pushed her darkness away. She pulled her hand back, putting the knife down. Were those words meant to her? Eira didn't know but she smiled at him.

"I love you," she whispered knowing he couldn't perceive those words or any other words because he was drunk and sleeping. 

Eira tilted over, kissing his cheek. 

"Goodbye," she whispered yet again and walked away. This time she wasn't planning on coming back.