History: Rise of the Unmortal

Gallipoli, 1915

Paul sat in a muddy trench, smoking a cigarette, a rifle resting against his shoulder. He took a long draw on the smoke and held it for a few seconds. He ended up coughing most of it up, his chest going tight.

"I think you were right, Jared," He said. "these things can't be good for your body."

Jared laughed and lit one of his own. "Doesn't matter too much, mate." He said. "when you're immortal..."

Paul smacked him in the arm. "Shhh, you want everyone to hear you?"

Jared shrugged his shoulders and looked at the men in the trench around him. "You know something, Paul, these Australians are interesting people. Hardy, that's for sure."

Paul looked at the men around him. Despite all the death in the air, they smiled, laughed and joked; to them, it was something of a game. Paul nodded; he couldn't argue there. He reached into his fatigues and pulled out a piece of paper, which he handed to Jared. Jared took it, placed his cigarette in his ear-where it stayed-and opened it.

Target: Krath
Means: Any necessary
Payment: On completion

Paul took a drag on his smoke and pointed to the paper. "I don't think they could've been vaguer if they tried."

Jared looked up, thinking. "Kill the thing, somehow for something." He thought on this for a second then nodded. "Yeah, that's vaguer."

Paul shook his head and threw his smoke into the mud. "What is a Krath? I've never heard of it before."

Jared shrugged, throwing his smoke away too. "Not too sure. I've heard of them, but never met one."

"Well, you succeeded in making this vaguer than before."

Jared laughed and nodded, flashing a brilliant smile. "I amaze myself sometimes too."

"So what's the plan then?"

Jared shrugged his shoulders. "Hard to come up with a plan when we don't know what we're doing."

Paul held a finger up, gritting his teeth. "This is the Titanic all over again. You go in without a plan and stuff goes south, quickly."

Jared thrust a finger at Paul. "Hey, that wasn't my fault...I"

Paul placed a finger to his lips and inclined his head to the right. Two soldiers were approaching, talking excitedly to each other.

"You worry too much, Cobber," One said to the other as they passed.

The other shook his head and handed his smoke to the other. "No, Charles, I worry just the right amount."

The two moved on, just passing through.

Paul looked up. "It doesn't matter whose fault it was. The point I'm trying to make is that when we don't have a plan, stuff goes wrong."

Jared huffed and flopped down onto a crate. "I've never seen a Krath before," he said. "I have no idea what to expect."

"We need to come up with a plan. Even if it's just gathering intel."

Jared clapped his hands together, suddenly becoming excited. "When we were in the Turkish trenches the other night, sniffing around, I heard several of the men talking about something," He clenched his teeth, thinking hard. "Çürüyen bir...I think that's what they said."

Paul looked confused, shaking his head. "Çürüyen bir...Necrotic one? What is a Necrotic one?"

Jared turned up his lip and shrugged. "No idea, but it seems like a good place to start."