History: Paul, part one

Jared was escorted from the plane by a Sky Marshall. Apparently, airlines didn't take too kindly to boinking in their toilets. Once they were in the terminal, the Marshall let him go, giving him a stern look. Annie grinned at him and linked her arm through Jared's as they headed towards baggage claim. Paul had remained quiet the entire flight, not even saying a word when Jared was dragged from the cubicle. Now, he stood at baggage claim, already guarding Annie's bag. His eyes scanned the carousel, despite the distant glaze to them.

Annie was exhausted and not just from the effort involved in interdimensional boning. She had slept on the plane shortly after boarding but, beyond that, she hadn't slept a wink. The flight had taken just over sixteen hours and she was fucked. Her plan was to sleep in the car-they had a two-hour drive to their next destination. They stepped up next to Paul and she bumped her hip into him to get his attention. He seemed to snap out of some deep reverie. He leaned forward absentmindedly and scooped up Jared's hot pink suitcase, adding it to his collection.

Jared came up beside him and rested his head on Paul's shoulder, staring up at him. "What's wrong, darling?" He inquired.

Paul shook his head and forced a smile. "Nothing," He lied. "I'm just waiting for my suitcase."

Jared wrapped an around Paul's neck and grinned. "You're nervous about seeing Eden again, aren't you?"

Paul turned on him, mouth agape. "N...no...not...not at all...wha...why would...no!"

Annie smirked. "Uh huh; and that amazingly articulate rebuttal just proves it."

Paul's features twisted into something that seemed like pain for the slightest second before his face turned red and he looked away. Maybe this wasn't a joking matter. Paul always had been very proper and restrained. Annie could never place him; during Jared's absence he had been a ghost. Did he not like woman? Did he not like being around them? He did mention once that he had been in love but that was the amount of detail he'd gone into. Had that love been Eden?

Jared gave him a sympathetic smile and kissed his cheek. "I'm just giving you shit, bud. I know how you feel. I'll stop if you want."

Paul huffed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "It's fine; I know you're just being playful but this is going to be stressful enough as it is."

Jared smiled sheepishly, knowing he was in the doghouse. "Sorry, mate. I'll leave you to it." He turned and motioned his head, telling Annie that they should give him some space. Annie leaned up and kissed Paul on the cheek before wiping it away with her thumb. She smiled at him-a sincere smile that said I'm here for you-then headed after Jared.

****

Paul stood at the carousel, mind drifting away from the task at hand. He did have feelings for Eden-he couldn't deny that-but he hadn't given his heart to anyone since his wife, whom he lost May 18, 1291. Paul hated this part. He winced as the memories came flooding back.

****

Paul stood with his fellow knight, staring out at the approaching army. Acre had fallen a week ago, but these knights had stayed to defend the remaining citizens. They had barricaded themselves in the Grand Temple, base for the Templar Knights, and defended it with a fury the likes the besieging Mumlak's had never seen before. Many were cut down by the furious knights and in the end terms of surrender had been made.

The knights knew death was their only exit and the opposing ruler, Sultan Al-Ashraf Khalil, knew these mighty knights would not give up without a brutal fight. They had created the perfect barricade within the temple that the attackers could not penetrate without meeting the end of a blade. Terms had been made to allow the knights to take their treasures and depart for Cyprus, unharmed; this was sworn by the word of God. The knights accepted and were waiting for the Marshall of their order, Pierre De Sevry to finish making plans for their exodus.