Goodbye Dad

You can tell by the title 😢

Everything seemed muted apart from the insistent ringing in my eyes and the pounding of my heart, the wheezing of my lungs, from strong smell of smoke enfolding everything in a thick grey blanket.

What just happened? I lift my head eyes searching for something. Shattered ice litters the ground, piercing my hands. Where's dad? My eyes sweep the the huge shape covered in ice, is that dad? No, it can't be, dad can't be dead? Can he?

The last few moments flash through my eyes, Drago turning away, dad running, Toothless-

"Dad!" I leap to my feet, skidding in the snow, ice crunching under foot. I drop to the ground, pulling at my dads huge upper arm with all my strength which isn't much, my hands are shaking so hard. A flurrying shape of leather and animal furs skids down beside me, my mum's brown hair covers her face and I see all hope leak from her body as she sighs.

"No." It's all I can say, I swallow down a sob pushing it down inside me, a blond figure crouches down on my right. Her hands weaving through my hair in a sign of comfort. I can't breathe, I can't breathe. I wrap my arms around my self, my head drooping down into my fathers flaming beard. Breathing in the deep scent of a Viking and smoke, a slight movement goes through the body and I sit up in a flash. He's alive? My eyes are drawn the black shape of Toothless, it seems like my eyes have turned to slits as I launch it my feet.

"No! Get away from him!" I shout at my best friend, he tries to creep back. My hands reach out pushing him away . "Go on! Get outta here!" Now he gets the damned message as he bounds away, my knees buckle and release the sob from deep down inside of me.

"It's not his fault, you know that." My mothers voice says quietly, hand placed lightly on my back. The world pauses for a few moments, in respect of our fallen chief. A flurrying of movement breaks the quiet, the dragons are flocking towards Drago's alpha. The hurricane of dragons are moving out to sea, Toothless tries to join them uselessly until Drago pulls him down with a metal rod. And then they are gone.

"No!" I shout into the leaving army, "Toothless!" I scream again racing towards the water when two sets of arms grab me our bodies fall fall to the ground scraping the ice. No!
"Hiccup!" Astrid runs up to us, lifting my shoulders up and pulling me to my feet. "Hiccup look at me, Hiccup." She grabs my chin and pulls it towards her. My eyes are drawn to the cloud of dragons on the horizon, where are- oh gods. Berk.

"They've  got our dragons and they are heading to Berk! We have to stop-"

"Hiccup, your eye," Astrid touches my left eye her fingers coming away sticky with my blood. For a brief moment I let my self feel the weakness of my fathers death.

"I'm fine. But we have business to finish here," I turn away from her looking at the gathered group.

"I have never been a traditional Viking," I address them "never acted the way my father wanted my to act like. I guess now I finally get to do something that he, he would have liked. A traditional funeral for a semi traditional Viking."

*****

"May the Valkyries welcome you and lead across Odin's great battle field. May they sing your name with love and fury, so we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla. To know you've taken your rightful place at the table of kings," Gobber speaks his voice full of emotion.

"For a great man has fallen, warrior, a chieftain, a father," He pauses again trying to keep it together, "a friend."

I dip the arrow head down into the smoking fire, I draw it back and release it. The arrow curves upwards before landing at its target. Valhalla's ship, seconds later it's own kind shoot after it. I stare after the ship defeatedly, I step closer to the shoreline trying to get as close to my father as possible before the ship finds its way to Odin's gates.

"I'm sorry dad," I murmur quietly, "I'm not the chief you wanted me to be a-and I'm really not the peace keeper I thought I was. I- I don't know." A tear drips down my face, and I ignore everyone behind me as I stand there.

You have the heart of the chief and the soul of a dragon, only you can bring our worlds together. That is who you are.
The old words whisper and roll around my mind. That is who you are. But who am I? I'm not a chief, nor a peace keeper.

"I- I was so afraid of becoming my dad, mostly because I thought I never could. I how do you become someone that great, the brave , that - selfless?" I ask my self, "I guess you can only try. A chief protects his own." I turn to face the awaiting Vikings behind me.

"We're going back."