This Is Berk

'This is Berk, it's twelve days north of hopeless and a few degrees south of freezing to death. Its located solidly on the meridian of misery.

"My village, in a word, sturdy. Its been here for eight generations but every single building is new. We have hunting, fishing and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problem are the pets, while most places have ponies or parrots, we have.....

"Dragons" the teen viking breathed sharply as a Monstrous Nightmare blasted at her open door, she slammed it shut in a nick of time.  As soon as the dragon passed she raced out the house.

"My names Ingrid, one of the better names I know. Some parents name their children hideous names to keep away gnomes and trolls. As if our charming viking demeanour wouldn't do that" Ingrid thought to her self as a huge viking knocked her over after being pushed away by a blast. She cringed as the battle axe imbedded it self into the ground inches away from her head.

"Morning!" The man shouted before leaping away back into the battle. People yelled at Ingrid to get back inside but she ran onwards through the battle. She ran across a path, not seeing a Monstrous Nightmare fly past blasting everything in sight. But a stray hand caught her and pulled her backwards lifting her off her feet.

"What's she doing out side? What are you doing out? Get back inside Ingrid!" A firm voice ordered her before setting her on the ground.

'That Hiccup Horrendous Haddock The Third, chief of the tribe. They say that when he was fifteen he defeated the Red Death on the back of his Night Fury. Do I believe it? Yes I do.' The chief saw a dragon advancing in on a sheep, with a few long strides he was in front of it. A Nadder to be exact, he inferno blade lit and ready to tame the dragon.

Ingrid carried on to the forge where she apprenticed for Gobber the Belch. She got through there in one piece thankfully. She rushed in quickly donning her leather apron and tying it up tightly around her scrawny shape.

"Nice of you to join the party thought you'd been carried off" Gobber greeted her sarcastically.

"What me? They wouldn't know what to do with all, er this!" She remarked scooping up an armful of weapons for the hot coals.

"Well, they need toothpicks don't they?" Gobber teased, Ingrid rolled her eyes. Gobber was bashful and not very insightful, it was luck her mother had chosen her name not her father and his family's awful choice of names. But still,  toothpick and fishbone, had officially been her adopted name by a majority of the village. Ingrid had been his apprentice ever since she was young.

The chief was fulfilling his duties with his dragon, the dragon raids had started again when she was a wee one but the village had a new approach instead of slaying the creatures. They trained them and lured them down with flares.

The other teens had a much cooler job, they lit the flares and protected the live stock. Ingrid peaked out the window to see Snitelout the chiefs cousins son hoisting a sheep on to his shoulders, she began to jump out when Gobber's hook caught her shirt.

"Gobber please! If I can prove I can do something then it will make my life so much better!" She pleaded with Gobber but the viking chucked her a sword and pointed to the grinder.

'Taming a dragon is everything around here. Gronkles are gentle and kind, almost every young Vikings first dragon. A Deadly Nadder is stealthy, smart and intelligent one of those would definitely get me credit. And the Hideous Zipple back, two head two riders. Then theres the Monstrous Nightmare, they are stubborn, proud and have a nasty habit of setting themselves on fire.'

"Watch the stall Ingrid, they need a hand out there" Gobber told her it she barley registered. She was outside the second he was gone, of course Gronkles are easy to tame. A Nightmare would be preferred but it was a ridiculous thought, she could never tame one of those. So a Gronkle it is, a green one was nosing a back basket oblivious to the world around him. Him.

"Hey boy, can we be friends? I really need a few of those and you can help me show everyone I'm totally useless" she talked to the Gronkle. Ingrid inched towards him her hand outstretched like she had seen hundreds of times before, and the green     Gronkle reacted just how she wanted. Putting its snout into Ingrid's hand!

"Ingrid!" The chief roared and the gronkle snapped, spewing lava everywhere as it took off in fright. This sparked the returning fleet and all the wild dragons flew up and away most bashing into buildings.

And suddenly all eyes where on Ingrid. Again.

Yeah theres probably one more thing I should tell you.

"Sorry... Dad" she apologised quietly. Hiccup sighed dragging a dirty hand of his equally dirty face

"Ingrid you need to stay inside, its to dangerous during the raids" he told her but she stared up defiantly.

"Oh come one dad! You never did!" Ingrid told him firmly.

"Your right Ingrid, I didn't and I nearly died hundreds of times. I have the village to feed before the ice sets in and he dragons have got into every store house, you need to stop disobeying orders" he told her gruffly.

"You and I both know the village doesn't need that much feeding" she muttered and a faint smile flickered across Hiccup's lips.

"I nearly trained a dragon though!" She began.

"Enough Ingrid, I have to clean up, go back to the house. Make sure she gets there!" He instructed the twins. They would really not be helpfully clearing up so better to keep them away from the destruction. Tuffnut and Ruffnut stepped forwards and pushed her forward up to her house.

"I remember when Hiccup did basically exactly what you did" Ruff mused.

"Stoick hated him" Tuff mused back.

"I really actually almost trained one" Ingrid sighed.

"Sure" Tuff agreed absently.

"He never listens and when he does it always with this tired look."

"He doesn't know how to be a father to someone he was, right dear sister?" Tuff spoke.

"And no matter how he tries his own fathers words just tumble out" Ruff agreed with her brother.

"All the other Vikings my age have already tamed a dragon!" Ingrid spoke angrily.

"Hiccup  just doesn't want you hurt" Ruff told her gently.

"I just want him to be proud of me" Ingrid spoke softly before entering the house and disappearing from sight behind the blackened by fire door.

"Man, Hiccup is like the nicer version of Stoick," Tuff said as they began the walk down the hill. 

"At least she doesn't have a Snotlout to deal with or us!" Ruff laughed, and as the twins do they rammed their helmets together. A memoir of they childhood before everything got so complicated. The missed the days at the Edge, where they could play pranks and ride their dragon. 

What was going to happen now?