Chapter 13

WAIT.

"What the hell are you screaming for?" I hear Lina's voice from beside me but my eyes are still fixated on the man before us. 

I shove Lina's hand away from my mouth and stare at her and then at the man. My hand flies out to the light switch and I flick it on. The moment the room is illuminated with light, I recognise the male standing before me, with his hands covering his ears.

"Chadwick? What the hell is going on?"

"Could you wait for me in the room, babe?" Lina says and Chadwick barely acknowledges me as he goes to Lina's room but not before giving her a quick peck on the lips.

My eyes follow his form as he attempts to go into my room. "No, the other one!" Lina yells slightly. Chadwick pivots, entering the right room and closing the door shut behind him.

I turn to Lina who's face is pressed in a frown. "His name is Chadwick? Are you serious?" She looks back at the room and shudders. "Wait, how do you even know him?"

"He's in my literature class. How do you know him? And why is he here?" I ask even though I had a pretty good idea about why he's here.

Lina wraps her robe around herself tighter as she drops her voice to a low whisper. "I met him on campus. He saw me struggling to change my tire so he helped me."

"You? Struggling to change a tire?" I scoff. Lina was the most independent person I know.

Her parents passed away 5 years ago so she had grown up way too much for a 15 year old. She lived with her grandma who was a little too old to help her with things like changing a tire. So the moment she got her license, she learned everything she needed to know from Jax and hasn't depended on anyone else since.

"Since when did you struggle to change your tire?"

"Shh!" She shushes me, looking back to her door afraid that Chadwick would overhear me. "He walked past looking all hot under the sun. I couldn't help it, okay? I pretended like I didn't know what to do." She explains and I chuckle with an eye roll.

Just as I was about to speak she cuts me off, "yes, I know, I know. I shouldn't have to act or whatever. I've just been in need of a distraction and that was the quickest way."

I open my mouth to speak again but she doesn't stop with her rambling. "And how dare you not tell me about a hot guy in your class?"

"How dare you not tell me about having a hot guy in our apartment?" I shoot back a question even though I didn't think Chadwick was all that hot. But she'd usually drop me a text to warn me about having a guy over but all I got from her tonight was radio silence.

Chadwick's head pops out of Lina's door the next moment. "You think I'm hot?"

"Get back in the room, Chadwick," Lina says and the moment her eyes meet mine again, she gags.

"What's wrong with the name Chadwick?" I laugh and she shudders once more.

"I don't know. It just doesn't roll off my tongue right. Chadwick." She tests the name again and convulses once more. "Anyway, I didn't think you'd be home so soon."

"Yeah, something came up." I shift on my feet uncomfortably, memories of Archer's lips against mine flooding my head. I didn't need Lina noticing my flustered state. 

"So, get rid of him already. I want to go to bed." I say but she doesn't budge. "Lina, please tell me he's leaving. It's so late." I begin to whine and Lina clasps her hands together.