Chapter 1

Hey Guys! Thanks for reading! This is a snippet into the Saving Her universe. Don't forget to watch the book trailer above. It it AMAZING! He did such a good job. Happy reading. 

As usual, Twitter was on fire.

"Logan Prescott has just signed a multi-million dollar recording contract. The man is on fire! He has just finished filming two movies and the final season of his hit television show just aired. Looking forward to your album Logan!"

"Racheal Ryans walks offset in an apparent feud with co-star Luke Adams!"

"Raquel Stevens dumps girlfriend Lila Taylor. Stay strong girl!"

"Logan Prescott announces he's taking a break before going to work on his upcoming album."

I slammed my phone shut and rolled my eyes. Why my social media page was always filled with this crap was beyond me. For some reason, I still insisted on checking it every single damn morning.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Grumbling I rolled over, shut it off, and then lightly slapped my cheeks to wake myself up. A cold glass of water. A cold glass of water is all I need to wake up. But I knew it wouldn't help, not really. After working 10-12 hour shifts almost every single day since graduating high school, sleep seemed to be a permanent luxury I couldn't afford.

Besides, I needed to find some way to raise $158,000 for an experimental treatment needed to save my mom. My mom, actually adoptive mother, took me in when I was six years old. Nothing existed before her. All I know is she took me in when I had nowhere else to go and loved me with every fiber of her being. She became my one and only companion in this world. When I was seven, mom was diagnosed with skin cancer and it progressed to stage four lung cancer over time. It's been an ongoing battle which has only gotten worse. The first several years were fine because she could work, and it didn't seem that serious, but as I hit my teen years mom started having to take short-term disability and then long-term disability and then had to stop working altogether as chemo took a toll on her body. I started working after school to keep a roof over our head and to pay for the parts of my mom's treatments that insurance wouldn't cover. I was able to get a job at a local tattoo shop when I was thirteen. The owner said I could help run the desk and he'd pay me off the books until I was fourteen and could legally work. An average kid until my mom got sick, I started spending most of my time with adults; doctors, customers, employers. I stopped making friends. Trust went away. I got along with people and could keep up appearances, but I was a loner, always had been really.

Whatever. That's life. Right? Besides, life has taught me a few tricks.

For instance, I worked at the tattoo shop for six years, and somehow managed only ever to get one small tat...despite being tempted many times to get more. I learned sass at that job. It was the only way I knew how to fend off assholes and deal with bitchy women and pervy men all day long. Mom worried about me working there. She wanted me to soften up, let people in more, but I never could.

At nineteen, I finally traded that job to be a server at a local restaurant known for its southern cooking. I live in Nashville after all. The restaurant was all wooden with a southern flare. I hated working there. I hated dealing with people all day, and I hated having my asshole boss on my back 24/7. However, they paid well...really well. Better than most of my friends in college were getting paid. Plus, and the real seller for me was my mom and I got the best health insurance around. It covered almost all her treatments and allowed me to continue paying rent.

So that's my story. My name is name Samantha Perkins, call me Sam. I'm as boring as they come in every way. I have drab brown hair, an average body, I wear t-shirts, jeans and converse every day and am constantly exhausted from working and taking care of my mom. The only part of me that is somewhat decent are my hazel eyes. That's one thing I get to thank my real parents, my unique eye color.