Chapter 5

Happy reading lovelies. <3

The second I got home I was clouded with guilt for having fun when I should have been figuring out how to earn the money I needed to save my mom. To add to that, I was off the next day and already committed to spending time with Logan and his sister. The only reassurance I had was Logan's sister seemed like she needed a friend as desperately as I did. I woke up the next morning and watched TV with my mom while continuing to look into ways to make money. I told my mom I was going out with Logan and she gave a look that said she was interested but never pressed. One of the things I loved most about my mom was that she gave me my space. She knew me. She knew I'd come to her eventually if there were something to tell, but she always let me get to that point myself. His car pulled up around one o'clock, and I waved goodbye to my mom after deciding to put on a burgundy sweater and jeans.

Logan leaned against his car casually in a white cotton t-shirt and a nice pair of designer jeans. I got in the car without saying a word. I still felt so stressed and guilty about the time clock my mom was on. I could see she was getting sicker and sicker by the day. I think Logan sensed how stressed out I was because he followed me into the car without saying a word. Once we were on the road, he turned to me.

"Hey, are you okay? You seem...off."

"I'm fine."

"Is your mom okay?"

I wanted to lie but I just couldn't, not with him looking at me like I was a wounded puppy. My face fell, and I nodded my head no.

"Come here."

He extended his arm out to me.

"What?"

"Just come here and quit bitching."

I scooted a little closer, and he shot his arm out and pulled me towards him, not allowing me any distance. I stiffened at first, but when he gently started rubbing his hand along my arm I allowed my head to fall on his shoulder. I relaxed into him. Somehow it helped. It didn't feel like anything other than a friend comforting a friend, which is why I allowed it. I somehow felt less alone. I felt comforted, and I hadn't felt that in a long time. He moved his hand from my arm to my hair and started absentmindedly rubbing my hair. The second his hand landed in my hair I burst out in tears; the guilt, pain, loneliness, and fear I constantly felt was sometimes too much. It just felt so good not to be alone.

"What's going on Sam?"

"My mom. I'm not helping her. I... don't know what I'm doing. I can't lose her."

I felt Logan's body tense.

"I wish there was something I could. Is there anything I can do?"

Uh yes, can you think of a way I could raise 100 grand without letting you give it me?

"No, there's not," I pulled my head away, "But thanks Logan for giving me a moment. I better pull it together before we meet your sister. Geez, she's gonna think I'm a mess."

"She'd understand," Logan said simply before looking out the window.

He looked tense...and nervous. We both set in silence the rest of the way, both of our minds were fully occupied. We drove for 45 minutes until we finally pulled into a parking garage nestled between two tall brick buildings.

"I'm so nervous," I said once we were parked. Logan immediately snapped out of his train of thought. He turned around quickly with a look of shock on his face.