Chapter 3

Logan ain't no quitter guys! 

The shrill sound of my alarm woke me the next morning. My head hurt from staring at my computer for hours on end the night before googling ways to come up with 100k fast. The results came up to with nothing of real benefit to me unless I wanted to become a prostitute or do something even crazier. My mom would slit her wrists if she ever found me doing that. Honestly though, if I knew I could get away with it and save my mom I would do it.

The second I got to work that work that day Shaunna came running over to me.

"Oh my God, you look like shit. Are you okay?"

I had a bitchy comment in my head but was genuinely too tired for that.

"Shauna, I'm fine. I just want to work."

She looked at me with wide eyes, "I'm freaked out by how calm and un-bitchy you're right now."

"Un-bitchy?" I said, almost letting a smile hit my face.

"It's a word!" she shouted across the room.

I laughed. The rest of my shift went by fairly quickly only because I didn't want to go home and face my reality. A few people asked me about the magazine, but it was so few I knew the magazine thing had been taken care of. For the first time since I met him, I didn't hate Logan. I was beyond grateful to him, because despite his incredible celebrity status that had to have been hard to do.

After my shift ended, I avoided talking with Shauna about the magazine and immediately headed to my house. It's not that I didn't like Shauna. In fact, she was a wonderful co-worker. I just didn't want to talk to anyone.

I had to admit I was a little shocked to not have a run in with Logan after our talk at his office. When I walked out of work, I found myself looking around for him, but when I got halfway home I gave up and figured he came to his senses and changed his mind.

When I finally reached my neighborhood, I walked up the usual grassy crooked pavement. I opened the navy blue front door and walked into the living room, hanging my bag on the hooks to the left of the front door.

As soon as I entered the den, our main living area, I almost stumbled backward onto my ass. In fact, I would have if I hadn't hit the doorway before going down. In front of me stood my mom, fully dressed in nice clothes, a rare occasion, sitting on the couch with Logan.

Logan fucking Prescott.

"Logan, what the hell are you doing here?" I shouted as my whole body shook with rage, but more than that fear. "Outside with me right now!"
"Samantha!" my mom yelled, but I was too busy glaring at Logan to acknowledge her.

"Outside now!"

Half amused and half sad, from meeting my sick mother, he started to follow me outside. When he got to the doorway, he turned to my mom.

"Nice to meet you Ms. Perkins."

"You as well Logan," my mom said with a friendly smile.

The minute she finished I stormed outside. Once we were outside I whirled around to face him, instantly softening at the sight of his grim face. I wanted to be angry, to yell, but I was too sad, too scared. Too vulnerable.

"How did you find out about my mom?" I tried to fight the tears coming to my eyes. "How?"

I instantly knew by the look on his face.