•Prologue•

A/N: Okay just before you begin reading this story, I would just like to say thank you for taking time out of your day to read this in the first place, this is my first BNHA fan fiction, If you have any criticism please do comment, I am ready for anything you throw at me!

Also here are a few guidelines for the story:

Italics = thoughts
Bold = Shouting/Yelling or highlighting
Normal = Speech, actions, storyline, etc...

With that being said, proceed to the story, and I hope you enjoy it!

*****

Life isn't fair.

But sometimes it seems like it is out to get me in particular.

In this vast world, filled with people with unique powers called quirks; Where civilians go about their daily lives, villains litter the streets and heroes fight for justice.

Is it really like that though?

Society is changing, as more heroes are made in prestigious academies, but as heroes are made so are villains. It is an endless cycle.

These days most heroes are after the fame and riches which come from their jobs, rather than actually saving the day, but as a naive child you don't really think of that.

I made that mistake in my youth, call it childish ignorance if you must, but all I wanted, much like any other child was to become a hero, to save the day, bring justice, and defeat the villain.

I was born into a family of heroes joined by a quirk marriage. A quirk marriage is when two people marry due to having powerful quirks, to make offspring with a more powerful quirk than their parents.

I had a very happy childhood up until age 4. The age at which quirks manifest in most children; Much like any other child, I was very excited to get mine.

Sadly mine didn't manifest. For a few months after that, my mother kept assuring me that I was a late bloomer, and that my quirk was just a bit late, but over the months I became less hopeful, just before my 5th birthday my parents took me to the doctor.

My suspicions were confirmed. I was quirkless. I my pinky toe had that extra joint... I was a standard mold.

My mother went silent when she heard the news, my father on the other hand was thrown into a fit of rage.

I could easily understand as to why my parents reacted like they did. I was a disappointment... I was expected to have manifested a powerful quirk, but instead I was born a quirkless reject. Who wouldn't be disappointed?

After that whole fiasco, my parents stopped most interactions with me. It hurt, to say the least.

A few months later my mother fell pregnant with her second child, my replacement. I resented the idea of having a sibling, because I didn't want to have somebody in my life who would eventually take my place. I knew that as soon as this child is born that I will become their shadow. Just a silhouette of the past, thrown away and forgotten, just because of the fact that I was born with no quirk.

It was bad enough already that children my age made fun of me because of my "disability", but to have your own parents brush you off like some dust from their shoulders made it all the worse.

I cursed that child growing in my mother's womb. Just the thought of it made me want to gag. The fact that my parents looked the happiest they have been in a year only added to my feeling of enmity towards the unborn child.

Then the most unexpected thing happened in my mother's fifth month of pregnancy. She started to get severe cramps and pain in her swollen belly, she began to bleed from inbetween her legs.

My father rushed her to the hospital, I obviously came with. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

My mother lost the baby, as well as a lot of blood. Things were looking bleak for her, she was on the brink of death and there wasn't much the doctors could do to help.

My father was frantic, pacing up and down the hallway, meanwhile I sat in one of the chairs. My short legs hanging over the edge, as I was only 5 years and a few months old. I stared at the flood beneath me, blaming myself for this whole ordeal, I was the one who wished for the child to be gone, but not like this. I never wanted something like this to happen.

I still remember my mother's last words to me as she cradled my face in her hand with tears streaming down her face.

"I'm sorry (Y/N)"

After that my father fell into a great state of depression. He did love his wife greatly, despite the fact that they married for quirks. The fact that his unborn child also passed was just adding onto his burden, as well as mine.

My father then in last hopes of having a successor began to train me in combat technique, strategy, endurance, strength and flexibility.

He gave me no breaks. My life turned into a continuous cycle of wake up, eat, train, repeat.

For a 6 year old this kind of schedule was very tough.

But it didn't seem to be enough for him. I wasn't strong enough without a quirk.

Then my father went out on a search for a quirk for me. I didn't understand how he could possibly get me a quirk, but I was hopeful nonetheless.

Months went by before my father found some scientists who could perform quirk transfusions. Despite the fact that there was a higher failiure rate, with huge side effects, my father took the proposition with no hesitation.

I remember my father taking me to some large white building, where I was strapped down to a hospital bed, and had tonnes of different machines attached to me, monitoring my vitals, and many other things which I didn't understand the use of.

People in masks and lab coats stood around Me, all handling some kind of appliance in their hands, ranging from scalpel, tweasers, tongs, and injection needles.

I was scared. This was one of the scariest things that a 7 year old could experience.

My father left me as soon as I was admitted inside, so I had no moral support whatsoever.

Then I felt a needle go into my arm. and soon enough I lost consciousness.

Little did I know that proceedure would change my life forever.

I eventually woke up after God know how long. Oddly I was lying on my side, but as soon as I tried to move, intense pain shot through my body, specifically my back.

I turned my head slightly to look behind myself, and I was surprised so see what lay behind me.

Wings.

Beautiful feathered wing.

The only oddity was that one of them was white meanwhile the other was black, but that didn't phase me at all, I finally had a quirk, and that was all that mattered.

Or at least that was what I thought...