five

"Depression and obsession don't mix well."
-Depression and Obsession, XXXTENTACION
________________________________

I know I shouldn't make any connections with the people here. If I know what's good for me, I won't speak to anyone. Not even Sky and her friends. The people here, particularly the Socios and the Fighters, are here for dreadful reasons, and for the sake of self-preservation I shouldn't speak to any one of them.

But I can't stop thinking about Jasper.

That tempting smile and those alluring eyes and that inviting voice. Everything about him lures me in, and I know that he's a Socio, and could be here for anything, but he has this way of making you think what he wants you to think. And I can't get him out of my head.

I'm lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling and thinking about how different my life has become. But it's strange. Ever since the incident, people have called me crazy. It hurt to feel alone. But in a school full of crazy people, I don't feel so alone anymore.

I jump when something races past my window. It's dark out, but something hit the glass when it went past, sending the hairs on the back of my neck into high alert. I bolt from the bed and swing the window open, eyeing left and right. Lights from other rooms illuminate a small ledge that juts out of the roof, an easy pathway for daredevils. I can see a dark figure edging along the ledge, and immediately lift myself up onto the desk and onto the ledge.

It's slightly harder walking across than I thought, especially with the wind, but if I don't look down, I find it fairly easy getting across. And I'm not afraid of heights, which is good since I'm on the top floor of this section of the school (other sections having fourth floors).

I edge across, and every time I get to a window, I scoot past quickly as not to spotted by other students in their rooms. I eventually see the figure crawl up the side of the roof and onto the roof.

"Hey! Wait!" I call, clambering after them.

They stop and turn around, and even in the darkness, I can see a curious smirk.

Once I get close enough, they sit on the roof tiles with their legs dangling off, waiting for me to climb up.

Finally, I make it to them, keeping a distance between us but sitting beside them nonetheless. Breathless, I flick my eyes across their cautious face, since I'm close enough to see their features. His features.

He is broad, and a leather jacket covers his black shirt. The boy has black boots on his feet to go with his black jeans. But to top it all off, his hair is a deep brown colour, messy, but he pulls it off, and his skin is tan, a perfect colour. His eyebrows are thick, and his lips...full and pink.

"Who are you?" he asks in a low, seductive voice.

"Olivia," I murmur, getting completely lost in his deep brown eyes, bright and rimmed with a thick black ring.

"And why are you here, Liv? Can I call you Liv?" he asks, raising an expectant eyebrow.

I nod. "I..." I pause and stare at the view, trees and hills for miles. "Honestly, I don't know why I'm here."

When I turn back to him, I'm surprised to see that he's smirking. "You want adventure, that's why you're here. And luckily for you, you've come to the right guy."

"For all I know, you could throw me off this roof and tell everyone I jumped," I say in a matter-of-fact tone.

He chuckles darkly but something almost knowing flickers across his face. "Then why don't you leave?"

"I'm not afraid of dying. I'm already in hell," I grunt.

"Ouch," he says, laughing.

I awkwardly smile. "Sorry."

"No worries. We're all going to hell anyway," he replies.

"You don't say." I laugh and then turn back to him. "So, what's your name?"

He rolls up the sleeves of his jacket to expose his muscular arms, veins pressing against his skin. "Alec."

"It's nice to meet you, Alec," I say. "I mean, as long as you don't kill me."

He shakes his head. "I'm beginning to like you. You've got character."

"Um...thanks?" I say, chuckling with him.

"I don't give compliments often, so savour it."

"I will." I pause, and then ask curiously, "So, what are you then?"

"A boy you met on the roof who may or may not be a murderer," he says, making me laugh lightly.

"No, I mean are you a Socio, Fighter or Wallflower?" I ask.

"I guess I'm a Fighter. That's if the leather jacket wasn't a dead give-away."

"Fighter..." I think it over. "You know that takes the possibility of you being a murderer up to about ninety percent, right?"

"I'd say the Socios are more likely, but I'll let you be the judge when you spend a full week here," he says, cracking his knuckles and scowling.

"You don't like the Socios then?"

He presses his lips together, deep in thought. "The Socios and the Fighters have never been fans of each other. But the tension only seems to be getting worse."

"Oh." I stare at my hands.

There's a moment of silence, until he eyes me curiously and asks, "So where do you fit in all this?"

I shrug. "Wallflower, I guess. I've got a lot of issues."

"Don't we all?" He pauses, glancing at me. "You alright?"

I hesitate, head melting in my hands, elbows jutting into my lap. "I feel like I'm going insane," I say, my throat tightening a little.

He smirks as I sit up again, his wild brown eyes shining with mischief. He leans in and murmurs, "I don't believe in insanity."

I peak up at him through my eyelashes, and murmur in a questioning voice, "You don't?"

"I believe in bored people with somewhat crazed minds, who are simply looking for something to do," he explains, licking his lips with the tip of his tongue. He sits back again and mumbles quietly, "The people outside call us psychopaths instead."

Alec winks through a final mischievous grin, and climbs down the other side of the roof, disappearing from sight.
________________________________

This is @graysondolan on instagram, which I imagine Alec to resemble.