Chapter Twenty-Four

Dr. Zhang has decided to set up camp in Hoseok's room, along with two nurses, one of which has Hoseok's medications on lockdown, and plenty of snacks and drinks. Dr. Lee gave him the okay to be in there, of course, but he didn't know about the arsenal of snacks the younger doctor had gotten from the hospital's cafeteria and vending machines.

“Doctor?” Hoseok asks softly after they've polished off a box of cookies. “Can I ask you something?”

“You can ask me anything, Hoseok-ah.” Dr. Zhang sets his drink aside and, at this point being unafraid of Hoseok, scoots forward to be closer to him and looks gently into his eyes.

“Am I ever going to get out of here?” Dr. Zhang doesn't answer immediately, sensing there's more his patient wants to say, and he's right. “I feel like I'm a completely different person after being put on the right medications, and I want to see if I can find my grandmother.”

When he's finished, the doctor smiles kindly. “I've actually been thinking about just that. I'm due for a sabbatical, and I want you to come live with me in Gwangju for a little while. Your grandmother lives about five minutes away from me, and she's called the hospital recently saying that she found your sister. Hoseok-ah, they don't blame you for what happened. They want to see you get better.”

Hoseok blinks back tears, and the smile that spreads across his face warms the doctor's heart. “Really? You would do that for me?” His bottom lip quivers. “I'm not used to someone showing me so much kindness.”

“Of course I would.” The doctor keeps his voice level and soft. “You've made so much improvement. I've spent countless hours reviewing your case and Jimin's case, along with whatever information I could find about your father, and you've been a victim all your life. What happened to you wasn't your fault. You deserve good things, and your grandmother, sister, and I all want to show you that.”

“I don't know what to say. Thank you.” Hoseok has his hands folded in his lap, and Dr. Zhang smiles warmly as he leans forward even more to envelop the patient in a hug. After a moment, Hoseok's hands come up and wrap around Dr. Zhang's waist, sniffling quietly.

The two stay like that for a moment until Dr. Lee enters unexpectedly. Confusion is clear on his face as Dr. Zhang pulls away gently so as not to hurt Hoseok's feelings, and he smiles. “I was just reassuring Hoseok-ah that I would help him get out of here, and he was thanking me.” At the serious look on the older doctor's face, he suddenly feels dread pooling in the pit of his stomach. “What's wrong?”

“I'm glad you want to help Hoseok-ah, and I approve.” He nods once. “And, it's about Namjoon. He has Seokjin's information. I've contacted police, but the ones that remember him are scared. The ones that aren't were killed when trying to stop him. We're having to call in a special team.” He glances at Hoseok and adds, “There's also something I need to speak with you privately about.”

“Alright.” Dr. Zhang nods to the nurses, and they nod back in a silent promise to keep an eye on Hoseok, who's looking scared and confused. The younger doctor places a firm but gentle hand on his patient's shoulder. “I'll be right back, and then I promise we can talk about anything you need to talk about, alright?” He waits until his patient nods in understanding before following the older out into the hallway. Quietly he asks “What happened, sunbae-nim?”

Dr. Lee pinches the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes. “There's no easy way to say this. Jimin killed himself last night.”

“Wh-what?” Dr. Zhang blinks rapidly. He was not expecting to hear something like that. He braces a hand on the wall for support. “He deserved so much better, hyung.” He's so distraught that he messes up his honorifics, but the older lets it slide.