Chapter 2: Training begins

"Master Priam, would you consent to some fencing lessons today?" I turned my head to the sweet voice the small and flustered girl catching her breath.

I wonder if she ran the whole way here from the war tent.

This had been the second week I had taken the girl up on fencing and sword play. She had improved greatly but sadly she had a very tough time arriving on time to lessons.

I continued cleaning a one of my most used swords making sure that it shown in the morning light.

"Only if you stop this "Master" nonsense. Just Priam is fine. We are equals and should be addressed as such."

I got up grabbing another one of the blades I had finished cleaning and handed it to the short frazzled girl. She fixed some of her armor meant for sword training since I had told her that he usual outfit wouldn't do very well for just sword play.

"Oh, and here I thought you'd like that..." I saw her awkwardly fumble a little more as she composed herself and stated "Very well, Priam."

She smiled at saying my name. One of her quirky looks crossing her face and finished "Where do we start?"

The sword fell into her hands as she slightly fumbled with the blade. I rolled my eyes used to the clumsiness. She gave me a sheepish smile and firmly held the seethed blade.

"With your weapon. Unsheathe it. Admire it. See how it glints. A sword is not some crude implement to be waved about like a party favor..." I directed a pointed glance her way as she flushed from embarrassment a little bit. I held my sword out as I gave a defensive stance with the blade. "We must draw upon the ambient energies that infuse the air to guide the blade."

She nodded and clarified. "Ambient energies? Err, you're not talking about magic, are you?" She had a hopeful tone in her voice at the thought of magic. I smirked and gladly explained.

"No. I speak of something else. It is difficult to grasp at first, but as you train, you can feel this energy begin to flow. That is, IF you prepare your mind. You must remove all barriers to self-knowledge."

I knew that this was going to be the most difficult lesson she would have to learn so I thought we should try to overcome it first. She had a good head on her shoulders but somethings she over analyzed things.

I found it was only during the thick of war fare that she was able to reach this head space where she could truly connect with her steel. She needed to learn to define that feeling and learn to access it on her own will if she wanted to become a better swordswomen.

I smirked at the shocked look that crossed her face she stuttered and argued "What? But...I'm not sure if that's even possible in my case!" She nearly shouted.

I looked at her unamused as I explained. "Everyone has the power to guide and manipulate these forces. Even you." I saw her head perk up a little as I finished "But only if you follow my guidance and commit yourself to your training. Much like your other weapon training, you are going to have to work hard and focus, concentrate."

"I was afraid you would say that." I watched as she mulled the idea over a little the girl methodically taking a cleansing breath.

I saw her eyes focus and her stance strengthen as I was reminded of that untamable fire I had seen the first day I saw her.

She gave me a confident look and replied "I will try. With everything I am, I will try."

I felt my heart skip a beat at the girl's phrase.

She truly was an amazing woman.

I smiled and gripped my sword with the same passion burning as I answered. "Then you are ready for the first step." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taynote: Hey guys! Second chapter is pretty short (as you have noticed) most will  be either really long or very short so sorry in advance for that.