Chapter 16

Rynan never felt more free and exposed in his life

"Are you ready, Mr. Yorksman?"

"Ready?" Rynan asked, looking down at his pink flesh, glowing like a lobster after a boil. "I don't think ready is the right word."

The man chuckled, placing his hand against his chest. His mustache twitched, "I believe you do have a point, young man."

Man? Rynan ears wiggled. He'd never been called a man before. By the end of the day he hoped there would be a gentle before the man.

"Let's go," he smirked.

They marched through the room of flesh, steam swirling around, being produced by women carrying pitchers of water, pouring over smoldering coals.

"How are they doing that?" Rynan asked, while a grayish-moist cloud swirled around the woman's pale skin, shielding her nudeness from all eyes.

"The eternal-searing stone," the man said, squeezing between chairs with lounging men, puffing on their cigars.

Rynan was less nimble, bumping each man as he passed, "my apologies," he said to their moans, groans, and threats. "What do you mean, eternal-searing?"

"Just as it sounds," the dapper man said. "The stone is a type of coal found in the volcanoes far to the west; never losing its heat."

"Further than Merry's point?"

"Oh, yes. Across the Westward Ocean."

Rynan scratched his head, always curious of what was beyond the borders of Texionya. He knew many tales from his own country, almost all of them Rynan believed. He had Boone to thank for that, and Ma Jean who'd tell the tales often; tales of the Great War of Nations and Lawless Pete. And the Barrador which was his personal favorite. Maybe because the Barrador reminded him much of himself.

The story goes, the Barrador was once a Dravodovian named Pedrios Marcaro who resided in Texionya, living in the city of Druahgo. He was the best bullfighter in the world. Killed many bulls in the ring until one day he was bested by the beast Barrador. Before Pedrios was slain, he used an alchemy spell called Binding Espírato, linking their spirits together, their souls bound as one; they became half man, half bull with the ability to speak to animals as well as man. Rynan always believed he was a descendent of the Dravodovian. I have to be, he'd often tell himself, how else could I hear the thought of beasts?

"This way," said the man, waving two fingers.

Rynan kept his eyes down as they passed around bodies, trying not to stare but his peepers seemed to have a curious mind of their own. He'd never seen so many odd and beautiful shapes. Women who were slender with thick hips and breast small as raisins and some large as melons. Then there were the larger women; tall as trees and girthy as a pig. Their breast caught his attention the most, floppy and sagging like two rotting fruits slamming together. Gross, he thought, grimacing at the sight.