Chapter 41

Dust danced around Jostice's boot as he gazed up at the large, multicolumn, white capital building

Dust danced around Jostice's boot as he gazed up at the large, multicolumn, white capital building. He spat, tugged on his bill then slid his hand into his coat pocket, rubbing slippery gold and the sharp ruby with a thumb, the other hand on revolver. Looks like the mayor and I need to dance… He thought, headed up the steps.

It was a cloudless day yet the wind yanked his hat and pulled at his coat, telling him not to go. He ignored the element and stopped at the doors. Two men dressed in black hat, trousers, and coat eyed him like a fish out of water.

"Claim your business,"  the one on the left said. 

Jostice didn't flinch when they reached for their guns, calmly, and without notice to the untrained eye. "I'm here to see the Mayor."

The one on the right barked, "And whose you?"

"An old friend … he's expecting me so it best you let me pass." Jostice took a step and guns were drawn, barrel flipped at his chest. He froze. "You're making a mistake."

"Are we?" asked the Legionnaire on his left. "Seems you're one step from finding yourself on the floor."

Jostice hands closed, forming brick-hardened fists. Two Legionnaires are going to be a problem… He thought, knowing men holding such titles were not feeble outlaws are young deputies, but Generals from the Pioneer army and Marshalls from all over Texionya. 

Jostice smirked, "Then you'd be shooting down the new Sheriff of Sundown City."

"New Sheriff…" The men exchanged odd looks then looked him over twice. "We didn't hear nothin about a new Sheriff."

"And why would you? Y'all are Legionnaires afterall … too busy to be worrying about what we do on the street. Ain't that right, boys?" 

The men stood like statue. "Until we've heard from the Mayor you'll have to leave—"

"Talk to him now," Jostice spoke harshly, "he'll tell you as I've to you—"

Their hammer cocked. "We says leave, Mister … or there will be trouble."

Jostice brows furrowed, eyes shifting between the men while the wind whispered a haunting song in his ear.

Suddenly the door swung open, and a tall, broad-shouldered man with small eyes and a wide chin appeared. He wore the same black trousers, black coat, and black brimmed hat the others wore, with a badge of two silver guns pinned to his chest.

The man glared, "what's the meaning of this?"

"Jack … Sir … this man said he was the new Sheriff—"