Chapter 29

Leslie pulled her bandana over her nose, masking the smell of rotting flesh that consumed the room

"It doesn't look like it's improving..." She said, looking upon the blackish-green flesh that ate at her brothers back. "Are you certain it's working?"

The Stir Doctor squinted behind his glasses. "That's how the remedy works; the wound worsens before it improves." He waved a thick, stubby hand with reddish strands sprouting from the dorsal. Oakot ran over. "Apply a bit more cream...the flesh is starting to flake."

The charcoal-colored boy walked over, twitching, his fave greening by the rank. He grabbed his nose. "Do I have to, Master? The boy smells like a carcuss..." He gagged.

The short, stubby man grabbed the boys red robe, pulling him close. He spat, "don't insult the patient in front of guest..."

Leslie raised an eyebrow, "And it's ok when I'm not here?"

The Stir Doc scratched his head. Seldom did someone ask him questions, and seldom did he answer. His eyes found the badge on her chest, glimmering like scales on a fish in the sunlight.

The man groaned, "of course not... What kind've Doc would that make me?" He scratched his flaming strands that were in disarray. "Not a very good one."

He turned to Oakot whose head faced the door, rubbing the wound, cheeks bubbled, breath held. "Stop being such a turd...It don't smell that bad.

Leslie shook her head but the smell lingered on her nose. In the far corner of the room, Boone sat pinching his nostrils tight, eyes watering, mouth tucked into his button shirt. Leslie thought he was as close to vomiting as she was.

"You alright?" She asked, her voice muffled.

"Hardly," Boone said. "Smells like rat guts..."

"Not you too," the Stir Doctor said, shaking his head. "Wimps. The lot of you." He drew a long breath through his mouth then exhaled. "Taste like chicken.

The three others gagged.

The Stir Doctor waved his hand once more and headed towards the door. "It'll heal in another day or so...We just need to keep applying remedy."

"And what if we," Boone coughed; "don't? Will he die?"

"Certainly...Infection gets into the blood - blood travels to the organs - and the organs begin shutting down." He sighed. "But we've likely kept that from happening. The problem now is what the smell will attract. The remedy masks the smell for only hours and then it comes back. This will happen until the wound scabs over...It if it doesn't scab over in time then we have a much bigger problem..."