Chapter 71

It was a quiet walk to the pools

It was a quiet walk to the pools. Everytime Quincy looked to open his mouth Krix glared, making the boy think otherwise, which meant a peaceful walk for Krix.

"I don't believe it," he said, looking upon a large man, nearly naked, splashing a young raven haired girl with water. They laughed. "What in the hell are you doing?"

Brugar whipped his head, knee deep in the pool. "Hey, master! We was bathing-"

"Bathing?" Krix looked to the water, clear as rain. And then to the pair. "You know there could be riflemen up there, right?"

They stared at a second level; a ring of stone wrapped around the pools like a balcony, cloaked in shadows.

"And you weren't just a little bothered by that one there?" A body lay face down, floating. A pool of red around him. "I hope you weren't drinking that."

"Of course we wasn't." Brugar pointed to water raining from the balcony to the pool. "We took it from the falls over there."

"And that's where I washed," Olivca said, leaning on a hip glaring. "You don't have to be that way, you know."

"And what way is that?"

"A jerk!" She grabbed the large man's hand, smiling. "Brugar is a kind man."

He gave her a big, twisted grin. Ears wiggling.

Krix chuckled, kneeling, splashing water on his face. "Clout is anything but that ... a murderer ... a dummy ... worthless ... I'll take any title, but kind."

"You only speak of yourself!" She pointed south, "a group of those monsters would've killed me if he hadn't jumped in and saved me."

Quincy waved a hand, "I actually saved us about twenty minutes ago."

Krix grabbed a handful of water and rubbed his face clean, chuckling. "You've all lost your heads ... seeing the dead will do that to you young folk."

"And you lost yours a long time ago," Olivica said. She looked up. "Don't listen to him, Brugar ... all that comes out of that man is hate ... and a man like that has nobody but himself."

Krix pat his face dry with the shirt, it was ruined no how. "Brugar, give me them achetip you made."

Brugars lip folded over. "I lost 'em."

Krix's head jerked, raising his torn ear. "You did what?"

The big man stood behind the girl. "I didn't mean to, Master. The creatures were everywhere and the quiver must've slipped from my hip."

Water droplets masked their silence.

From his heels, Krix leaped up, yanking the tassle from his belt; the thick leather strands worn from their abuse. He walked over to the large man, brows furrowed.