Chapter 46

The pile of dead didn't end at the boulders…

"Somebody is hunting Bounty Hunters," Krix said, looking upon a husk-woman whose hair was red as the bloody sand; a black hole replaced her second frost-blue eye while she lay stiff and still. "Another one of Wildey and Rons hunters…"

"What force could hunt bounty hunters?" Brugar spoke weakly. "These are no simple outlaws or law-abiding Legionnaires. These are men and women who live by the gun and answer with the pull of a trigger … Hired guns?"

"No …" Krix said from on top of his horse. "Hired guns are much more cautious …  usually acting alone and focused on a single target."

"Marshalls?"

"Most are accurate enough…" Krix rubbed his chin, examining the bullet hole. "But like the Legionnaires, they are bound by laws, even if they break them from time-to-time. The accuracy is not what baffles me … its the wound … no known gun can leaves an entry wound that clean."

Brugars brows sunk. "Looks like many wounds I've seen. Don't see no difference —"

"Carlyle Schmidt…" Krix whispered loud enough to be heard. "That man said somebody was moving guns — guns that I'm thinking are to be used for arming soldiers — guns like we've never seen before." 

Brugar scratched his head and peered down at his shotgun resting in the leather scabbard attached to his horse. He shrugged, " maybe Pompies are designing them … Womberwheels are the best for shootin."

Krix nose wrinkled, surprised by the mans knowledge of the guns. "And why would you think this?"

He chuckled, "how do you think the Huskmen defeated the Borks so many times? Womberwheel arms … best guns around."

Krix looked down at the Husk woman, staring at him through her single soulless blue eye. "So what? She was carrying a wheel gun and decided to off herself?"

"No…" Brugar shook his head. "Just thinking it might've been a Pompy who shot her dead—"

Krix laughed. "No Pompy is hunting bounty hunters … nor a boy from Sundown City … that is, unless they have an interest in him—" Krix's face wrinkled at his words then he stroked his pointed chin. "You think the Sheriff may have friends with the Pompies?"

Brugar corked his head usually he was the one asking all the questions. He mumbled, "Could…"

"What if this somebody is not hunting bounty hunters but is protecting the boy?" Krix's voice went weak. "A Sheriff with many friends can have many weapons … and if their relationship is strong, she may do anything to protect him." He stared over the horizon to the silhouette of black-squared towers jetting from the sand. "We maybe walking into an ambush..."