-5-

There was a completely different aura to the city at night.  Instead of bright sunlight shining down on all of the citizens, the moon's soft glow and the faint twinkling of the stars bathed the isolated streets.  Instead of the buzz of conversations, there was nothing but the gentle ocean waves as they lapped against the docks and piers.  Instead of the lively yet grim vibe of daytime New Orleans, there was an exotic, unconventional taste to the nighttime air, and Brendon found himself falling in love almost instantly.

Not a single soul roamed the streets.  The market vendors had gone home for the evening.  The store clerks had locked up their shops, only planning to return when the sun rose again.  Even the animals had seemed to retreat into their dens and homes, for the night in New Orleans was full of peace and solitude.

It was almost as if they had the entire city all to themselves.

Brendon silently followed in Ryan's footsteps, for he had no idea where the night owl was taking him.  Were they going to visit the docks?  Maybe watch the moon rise over the never-ending ocean?  Were they simply going to explore what the city had to offer after the sun set?  He wasn't sure, but he couldn't hide the excitement tingling in his veins.  This was an adventure to him, and he couldn't wait to see what other secrets this city held.

It was rather unnerving to him that Ryan didn't speak, though.  The silence of the city hummed in his ears, and he longed for the comfort of another human's voice.  Sure, the city was absolutely gorgeous at night, but he couldn't help but feel perturbed.  Despite the beauty, he still didn't know what could've been lurking in the shadows.  He and Ryan were two young men, roaming the streets of New Orleans after hours.  Who knew what kinds of people could've been out there?

So instead of waiting around for him to speak, Brendon did it for him.

"Where are we going?"  he asked, his voice seeming to boom in the silence of the streets.

Ryan didn't even turn around to answer his question.  "Places,"  he replied.  His footsteps were as soft as a mouse's, and Brendon almost felt stupid for all the noise his shoes were making.  "You'll see when we get there."

Brendon couldn't mask a scoff now.  "You're real big on bein' obscure, ain't ya?"

"It's my specialty."  Ryan flashed him a lopsided smirk over his shoulder, his face almost entirely shadowed by the dark sky above.  Even the faint glow of the stars couldn't brighten his pale skin.

The two of them continued their trek through the silent city, not a single word exchanged between them.  There was nothing to discuss, in Brendon's opinion.  They didn't know each other.  They had only met today.  Surely that was why Ryan wanted to do this, though.  To get to know one another.  Brendon would like that.  He needed a friend, even if the way Ryan welcomed people to New Orleans was a bit odd.  As long as they had a chance to get acquainted, he didn't care how it happened.

A dog barked from within the depths of the city.  The harshness of its echo made Brendon jump, but Ryan only laughed.  He was completely unfazed.

"Come on, ya scaredy-cat,"  he teased, his eyes shimmering with amusement.  "That dog ain't gonna hurt ya.  He's probably chained up, anyway.  Family's got him on lockdown.  Nothin' to be worried about."

"Unless it's a goon's dog,"  Brendon argued.  He hadn't noticed his arms were wrapped around his torso until he felt a shiver run down his spine.  It was chilly outside.  That, and aside from his initial excitement to explore, the anxiety was beginning to settle in.

He was in uncharted territory.

Ryan only scoffed as he continued to lead the way down the street.  He didn't seem bothered by the eerie nighttime at all.  "You're funny, Brendon,"  he said.  "I'm gonna have to keep you around."