-8-

Poor Spencer nearly had a heart attack when he saw the brand new version of The Spotted Cat, but at least it would've been for a good reason.  He was absolutely overjoyed.  Brendon couldn't help but grin at the man's eager childlike glee, and the thrilled expression adorning Ryan's face only made it better.  The two of them had never seemed happier.

But the renovations were only the beginning of Ryan's ambitious plans.  After Spencer returned to the upstairs to rest, Ryan closed all the doors, made sure all the windows were latched, and put his saxophone together once again.  It was time for phase two.

Ryan was more eager than Brendon had ever seen him.  With a twinkle in his eyes and a spring in his step, there was nothing in the world that could bring him down, and Brendon was sure of that.  Nothing made him happier than seeing Ryan happy, too.

"Today's the day, Bren,"  Ryan said with a grin as he gathered his sheet music.  His saxophone hung around his neck, the black strap contrasting gorgeously with the golden shine of the instrument.  "Ready to hit the streets and get some folks to remember The Spotted Cat?"

"You know I am,"  Brendon replied.  He couldn't hide the excitement coursing through his veins, bubbling in the pit of his stomach.  He was beyond ready for this.

The smile Ryan flashed him then seemed different than the others.  The light behind his eyes conveyed an emotion that Brendon couldn't quite comprehend, but it made something inside his chest twinge.  He didn't know what it was, so he did his best to just ignore it.  Maybe he needed to visit a doctor about that.

He helped Ryan pack up his things.  His sheet music, some extra reeds, a bottle of mouthpiece cleaner, other jazz musician necessities.  He even offered to carry the saxophone case down the street.  Whatever made Ryan's job easier, he was willing to do.  This was Ryan's time to shine.

It was the perfect day outside.  Perfect temperature, perfect amount of sunshine, perfect amount of puffy white clouds decorating the bright blue sky.  Perfect day for playing jazz on the streets and attracting people toward the best jazz club in town.

They set up on the corner of a busy market.  While Ryan tightened the ligature around his mouthpiece, Brendon opened the case to accept any money and even propped a small sign he had made against the case.  It was nothing special, just the name of the jazz club written in pen, but to Ryan, it seemed to be the best gift he had ever received.

"You made that?"  Ryan asked.  His smile practically made him glow in the bright sunlight.

Brendon nodded.  It hadn't taken him long, but he wanted to add a little something special in hopes of attracting more people.  Besides, now if people loved listening to Ryan play, then they would know where to find him.  At the brand new and revamped Spotted Cat.

"I love it,"  Ryan went on.  "Man, what would I do without ya, Bren?  You've made everything so much better.  I'm glad ya popped into town and stopped by The Spotted Cat that one day.  Who knows where Pop and I would be without ya."

It was a simple expression of gratitude, but to Brendon, it couldn't have made him happier.  Never, not once in his life, had he ever expected to stroll into a new and unfamiliar city and instantly change his life around for the better.  He had expected challenges, challenges that might have made him change his mind about moving out, but instead, he found The Spotted Cat.  He found Spencer.  He found a job in a place he loved.  But most importantly, he found Ryan.  His new friend.  Dare he say his best friend.  They hadn't known each other long, but there was a connection there that Brendon knew came around once in a lifetime.  Not even Kenny made him as happy as Ryan did.  Just hanging around in silence brought a smile to his face, and without a doubt, Brendon knew he wouldn't trade this for anything in the world.