Chapter 3: They fear what they don't understand

The rest of the day passed by with no trouble at all. The sun was setting when Shoko flew up to the balcony on the tallest tower to watch the sun rest for the day and the moon rise and brighten the night. Shoko watched in admiration as the full moon started to rise up into the sky.

  “The night truly is beautiful. It is such a shame that people have to sleep at this time.”

  He looked down towards the kingdom as he saw lights from lanterns going out one by one. When the last lantern was out he went back into the castle. Everyone else went home, except for Sophia, who was residing in the bright colored bedroom. Shoko sat in the throne room and closed his eyes. He didn’t sleep for a long time, so it felt nice to finally get some rest. As soon as he closed his eyes, the same image that kept him up all these years appeared once more. A woman with black hair, pale skin, and red eyes in the middle of a pitch black void. Shoko woke up with a start.

  “Everytime I close my eyes…I am truly sorry,”

  The next morning was a very quiet one. Shoko was watching the sunrise as usual, and everyone else was getting ready for the day. Shoko looked down at the kingdom borders to see a golden chariot with 3 horses making its way towards the castle.

  “Well, it seems like Queen Karsyn is the next one to ask. I wonder if she brought her annoying husband with her. Let’s hope not.”

  Shoko flew down into the central hall and waited for the Queen to enter the room. Sure enough, the doors opened and Queen Karsyn entered the hall in her royal gown. With her two younger women who looked identical. They had red hair, green eyes, and light skin.

  “Greetings, lady Karsyn. It certainly has been awhile since our last encounter, hasn’t it?” Shoko asked, trying to be polite. Truth be told, he didn’t like Karsyn, and Karsyn utterly despised him.

  “Quit with the flattery, foolish brat, and let’s just get straight down to business. I assume that you know why I’m here?” she said.

  “To once again state that I am not fit to rule over this kingdom and that I should step down while I have the chance?” Shoko asked.

  “Oh, sorry, it’s too late for that. I demand unification of our kingdoms!” she yelled. Shoko rubbed his ears.

  “First of all, that was going to be my second guess, and second of all, ow,” he said.

  “These two fine young women are my daughters,” Karsyn said. She pointed to the woman on the left.

  “This one is Hannah, and the other is Petunia.”

  “Um, I’m Petunia,” the daughter on the left said.

  “And I’m Hannah. Seriously mother, I can’t believe you got me mistaken for the freak again!” the daughter on the right groaned in frustration.

  “Oh, my apologies darling,” Karsyn said.

  “That was rude of the both of you. Apologize,” said Shoko.

  “Apologize? For what?” asked Hannah.

  “For being rude and disrespectful towards your sister. I do not accept that kind of behavior in this castle. Now formally apologize to your sister immediately,” Shoko said firmly. Hannah rolled her eyes.

  “Fine. Sorry that I called you a freak, Petunia,” Hannah said in an irritated voice.

  “That was not a formal apology,” stated Shoko.

  “No, no, it’s alright,” said Petunia. “She does that all the time. I have gotten used to it.”

  “Such a horrible way to live,” said Shoko. “I apologize, Karsyn, but your request for unification is respectfully denied.”