Chapter 5: No one is pure

Three months have passed since Burake proposed an alliance. He still continued his childish war, but overall, he never interfered with Obsidian’s affairs. Shoko was observing his kingdom’s activities. Everything seemed to quiet down. When word of Shoko and Burake’s confrontation went out, the kingdom was more active than usual, because everyone wanted to know about what happened. Every time someone asked Shoko about what happened, he would disregard the subject and leave. After a few hundred attempts, the people decided to leave it alone and continue business as usual.

  “Finally some peace and quiet,” said Shoko. “I could use some of that after what’s been going on.”

  Shoko put a hand over where Burake stabbed him. The wound healed almost instantly back when he removed the sword that inflicted the damage. He looked towards the kingdom borders to find Douglas making his way to the castle.

  “Oh you have got to be kidding me.”

  Shoko few down towards the front door, waiting for Douglas to slowly make his way into the castle as usual. Instead, there was a hard pounding on the door.

  “Open up! Open up Shoko! I know you’re in there! I will break down the door if I have to!”

  Shoko opened the door and glared at Douglas.

  “You didn’t have to take all your anger out on the door,” he said. “Speaking of which, why are you so angry?”

  “You know exactly why I’m angry!”

  Shoko raised an eyebrow.

  “I do?”

  “Desiree’s child!” yelled Douglas.

  This time, Shoko was truly confused.

  “I don’t understand what the problem is here.”

  “Oh, yes you do. You have known ever since you found out about the pregnancy. The baby is going to kill her.”

  Now Shoko understood. He knew why Douglas was upset, and he had every right to be.

  “I wanted to deny it,” said Shoko. “I wanted to just shrug it off, think it was nothing. But I couldn’t. I saw the truth. She is dying. I’m sorry Douglas.”

  Douglas looked at Shoko, then punched him in the face. Shoko stumbled back a bit.

  “You knew she’s going to die, and you didn’t tell me?!” Douglas demanded. “Why?!”

  “You were in enough stress as it is, with the stupid war you’re fighting!” said Shoko.

  “That doesn’t matter!” yelled Douglas. “Desiree is my wife and I love her! I will do whatever it takes to save her! Even...even…”

  Shoko’s expression changed into a worried one.

  “Even what?” he asked.

  “Even...eliminate the poison that lives in her body.”

  This time it was Shoko’s turn to punch Douglas. He delivered a strong right hook at Douglas’s jaw.

  “Are you out of your mind?!” yelled Shoko. “That is murder, a very serious crime! I will not allow you to do it!”

  “You can’t stop me, Shoko!” yelled Douglas. “I will save Desiree!”

  Douglas stormed out of the castle, got on his horse and took off for Urania.

  “Damn it,” said Shoko. “His negative emotions are clouding his judgement. He’s gone mad. Well then, time to go back to Urania.”

  Shoko dissolved into shadows then instantly reappeared in the castle in Urania. He looked around and saw Desiree making her way to the kitchen.