Chapter 9: The Realization

Shoko found himself outside the kingdom of Urania. Shoko assumed that he was too stressed out to focus on the exact location. He ran as fast as he could to the castle, ignoring all the passersby who were eyeing him suspiciously. He entered the front door of the castle to find multiple guards standing post, some with looks of despair on their faces. Shoko began wondering if he was too late. He walked around the castle, desperately trying to find out where Desiree was. He continued wandering until he saw a midwife outside the door to Desiree’s quarters. She looked saddened. Shoko walked up to her.

  “Is she--?” asked Shoko. The midwife shook her head.

  “No dear,” said the midwife. “Whatever is killing her in there is taking its sweet precious time. If you wish to say some final words to her, you can.”

  Shoko hesitantly entered the room. The room seemed a little gloomier than usual, no doubt due to the sadness that was present within. Shoko saw Douglas standing by the bed, holding a little baby in his arms. In the bed, pale, frail, was the sweet, dying Desiree. Shoko moved to the other side of the bed where Douglas wasn’t standing. Desiree moved her head to get a better look at Shoko.

  “Hey,” she said. Her voice was weak, reduced to a mouse’s squeak.

  “Hello,” said Shoko. He could already feel the tears forming in his eyes.

  “It’s a boy,” said Desiree. “He is a beautiful, healthy baby boy.”

  “Indeed, he truly is,” said Shoko. Desiree slowly turned her head and looked at Douglas.

  “Let Shoko hold the baby, please,” she said. Douglas nodded and handed Shoko the baby. The baby had Desiree’s complexion, but seemed to have Douglas’s eyes. The baby looked at Shoko and made a small cooing noise. Shoko looked the baby directly in the eyes.

  “You are truly this family’s greatest blessing,” said Shoko. The baby closed his eyes and fell asleep. Shoko handed the baby back to Douglas, then looked back down at Desiree. She let out a small smile.

  “It doesn’t really hurt that much,” said Desiree. “ I don’t understand why people make a big deal out of this.”

  “Because it means that we won’t be able to see you again,” said Douglas. His voice sounded broken. Shoko could see the tears running down his face, and felt one running down his own.

  “Oh, come on Douglas,” said Desiree. “You promised that you wouldn’t cry.”

  “I also promised that I’d protect you,” replied Douglas. “I promised that I would fight for you, and die for you. I have failed. I am a failure.”

  “That is not true,” said Desiree. “You have been a really great husband to me. I could not have asked for a better man. And I know, I know for a fact, that you will make an even greater father.”

  “She speaks the truth,” said Shoko.

  “Well, if that’s what you think, then I am inclined to agree,” said Douglas.

  “Thank you,” said Desiree. “Shoko?”

  “Yes Desiree?” asked Shoko.

  “Please help protect my son,” said Desiree. Her voice was barely audible now. “Please help him go down the path that is best for him. Promise me.”

  Shoko held Desiree’s hand.

  “You have my word,” said Shoko. Desiree let out a small smile, then looked back at Douglas.

  “I love you,” she said.

  “I love you too,” said Douglas. Desiree closed her eyes and took her final breath. Shoko finally let the tears fall from his face and sobbed silently. He had just lost another friend. He was tired of it. Tired of being surrounded by death, tired of being cursed to have everyone he calls a friend hurt or killed. Douglas sighed.

  “She will be given a proper burial,” said Douglas. “Shoko, walk with me.”

  Shoko simply nodded. Douglas set the baby boy onto a crib and left the room, after sending a maid to care for the baby. Douglas and Shoko both walked to the balcony and watched over Urania.

  “I heard about what happened to your kingdom,” said Douglas. “I am truly sorry.”

  “The fault is not yours,” said Shoko. “I was irresponsible. I should’ve been more aware, more cautious. I will not make the same mistake twice.”

  “Well, let’s just be more careful,” said Douglas. He sighed and wiped a few stray tears from his face. “I really want to live up to Desiree’s expectations. But I don’t know how I am going to be there for my son with the war going on.”

  “You do not need to worry about the war,” said Shoko in a more serious tone. Douglas raised an eyebrow.

  “What are you talking about?” he asked.

  “Ever since this war began, I had hoped that avoiding it entirely would keep my kingdom and subjects safe,” said Shoko. “But I understand now.”

  “Hmm?”

  “By avoiding the war, I had made my kingdom a target. A place that could just be taken at any time, by anybody. I had neglected my subjects, and I cannot forgive myself for that.”

  “Shoko, what are you thinking?” asked Douglas.

  “Raise your son well, and teach him that violence does not solve things,” said Shoko.

  “And you?”

  Shoko looked up at the sky. The sun was beginning to set.

  “I am ending this war. Tonight,” he said before he dissolved into shadows.