Chapter 7: The pieces come together

Back in Goldain, Karousun’s impatience was increasing dramatically. She was tired of waiting. She wanted to win this war and to eliminate Shoko. Unfortunately, she knew that in order for Burake’s plan to work, patience was needed from her, and a lot of it. Meanwhile, Honora and Petunia were both fighting over which one of them that Shoko would marry.

  “Obviously he will marry me!” said Petunia. “I’m the prettiest woman in Goldain.”

  “So not true!” said Honora. “I am obviously way more beautiful than you will ever be!”

  “Are you kidding me?” asked Petunia. “Your ridiculous hair would scare him away!”

  “And your annoying voice would make him angry! Ha! Can’t top that!”

  “Seriously? You won’t satisfy him!”

  “What do you mean?”

  “You know what I mean.”

  “You rotten little--”

  “Enough!” yelled Karousun. “I have had it with your constant bickering! Shoko is going to die very soon, so you can stop talking about him!”

  The twins were silent. Looks of sadness and confusion were upon their faces.

  “What are you talking about?!” asked Honora.

  “In about one week, Burake and I will take our armies and launch an assault on that stupid brat’s kingdom!” said Karousun. “He will be so sad, and so shattered, that he’ll end up giving up on everything he ever knew, and when he is at his weakest moment, I will take my sword and cut off his head!”

  The twins shrieked. They knew their mother hated Shoko, but this was taking it too far.

  “And if you two say anything to him about it, then I won’t hesitate to kill you, either!”

  The girls simply nodded. Karousun walked away to her private quarters. She opened the door to find Burake standing there.

  “What a magnificent surprise, Burake,” Karousun said in a rather seductive tone. “You must’ve been just as impatient as I am.”

  “Words cannot possibly describe it,” said Burake. “I could not wait any longer.”

  “Neither can I,” said Karousun.

  “The time to attack has come. The party is in a mere few hours, and no doubt, Shoko has already made his way there.”

  “Then what are we waiting for?” asked Karousun. “I’ll have my daughters go to the party to keep Shoko distracted.”

  “Excellent, now we can begin.”

  Shoko was in his personal quarters going through every formal outfit in his wardrobe.

  “I honestly cannot find the right outfit for the party,” said Shoko. “I have to be there in a few short hours. What can I wear?”

  Shoko pondered this thought for another five minutes, then he finally realized that he had the perfect outfit with him all this time. He turned and went towards the window, for hanging there, was the new cloak that Desiree had made just for him.

  “I can’t believe I didn’t think of this sooner,” he said to himself. “Desiree is going to love that I’m wearing this.”

  Shoko put on the cloak and looked at himself in the looking-glass. He actually looked pretty nice.

  “I feel like this was meant to be intimidating, but beautiful at the same time.”

  Shoko stretched a little, grabbed his gift for Desiree and dissolved into shadows. He appeared at the castle halls of Urania. There were a lot of people there, dancing to some very uplifting music. Shoko found a table where all the gifts were held and placed his on the table. He turned around to find that standing in front of him were both Douglas and Desiree.