Chapter 8 - Is That A Weed?!

(¬_¬): Due to Wattpad crashing on me like the PINCHE IDIOTA it is, you will never see a sexier version of this chapter which has been erased completely, hence the delay — not going to lie, I shed some tears as technically two new characters were introduced, and for that loss, I apologize.

+ I think many of you should know – I am not sane after this chapter (re-written 4x, shit-ton more dialogue than usual, shit-ton more interactions, and shit-ton more scenes) it has killed me and I am glad to get it out in the world.

October 27

————————

~Dusk Acosta~

As I stepped out of the house, a cool rush of wind breezed past me. It nipped at my skin, I hung my head low and buried my hands deep into the pockets of the dark green coat I wore.

My satchel draped loosely over my shoulder as I stepped towards the truck Shawn had gifted me. To be honest, I still hadn't completely absorbed the fact that I had received a car for my birthday, and by the time I was able to question it, I had already been in bed staring at my ceiling.

I unlocked the door, hastily stepping up into the truck settling myself in, buckling up and turning on the engine as quickly as I possibly could.

The air on max heat as I rubbed my hands together in friction, I perked at the abrupt chime from my bag.

I sifted through every pocket and smiled when I found it sitting on the seat under it, I pulled out my phone to see it was another text from Mason which simply said to meet him at the library.

It could have been more descriptive, he could have at least told me when. Nonetheless, I sent him a thumbs-up emoji and shifted the gear to reverse as I headed to school.

Lincoln High School wasn't like the high school back home; where nobody cared much or knew much about anyone, they all simply just wanted to get home...Lincoln, well they just cared a little too much. Don't get me wrong the school had spirit, a lot of it, most games were packed with enthusiastic fans and they never hesitated to attend the dances. But, Lincoln was also known to be a gossip school, secret conversations never stayed a secret, every whisper was modified into an exaggerated exchange of words like a disastrous game of telephone.

I did my best not to include myself in those types of toxic conversations, but of course, I couldn't stop others from having their own opinions about me. The fact that I, a transfer student, shifted the entire school chain by taking the title of 'top of the class' took away some brownie points to my reputation, after all, my presence wasn't something people were happy about.

I understood their displeasure towards me, I mean who wouldn't be pissed off, the student dubbed 'top of the class' would be given a prize at the end of the year. Last year, the prize was a three thousand dollar check, three concert tickets to a singer of their choice, and dinner with the town's mayor, Susan Stern-Weiss. Students with the highest grade average of their own class would be honored at the Top Four Party, or the "greatest party of the year" as said by many, thrown by Aaron Weiss the eldest son to the mayor.

However, after the coma, I knew I needed extra help to catch up with the two years I had missed. Despite my student counselor, Mr. Alvarez's belief that I could get accepted into a good college with my two years, we went to work and set up a schedule. Because it wasn't just any school, it was Columbia, and my one-year high school education wasn't something I was proud of, even if I had already been taking pre-calculus and Advanced Placement literature as a freshman.

My schedule had become pretty tight once I got the job at the Ice Cream Shoppe, I had also decided to take some of the missing courses online. By the end of the year, I should be as equal to a four-year high school student as possible. I'd already spoken to the admission's office, and I was okay waiting for next year's fall admissions, I was confident in being accepted and by the end of next year, I would be moving to New York.