Chapter 5 - The Yellow Flower

October 15th, 2016
—————————

~Dusk Acosta~

Somehow, the rattle of leaves on the tall maple trees as the strong wind brushed through them, was pleasing.

Maybe it was the orange almost brown leaves that crunched under my warm boots, or maybe it was just the smell of my hair mom's hot chocolate, I wanted to go outside just for the sake of it.

But unfortunately, it was my birthday, and I stood at the counter helping mom prepare the big birthday dinner. It was always something we did, even though she would usually be half trashed before the whole coma ordeal took place, we would still make something my mom used to make with her own mother.

This year, like my 15th birthday we were making tamales. During the week of my birthday, my mom would always bring out her inner and outer of course, Latina. Bringing out her favorite songs which were mostly by Trono de Mexico, Selena, Maná, Juan Gabriel and others that would make Scott judge our singing when we sang and danced to them.

Mom would call him a güero and we would both laugh while he would keep asking us what was so funny. Then I'd tell her ay sí pero tan guapo, Scott would give up and keep searching our entire conversation on Google and then that would be it.

Like now, he was just helping us make them. It took a while for him to understand the whole concept of why we made a huge pot full of them. But as mom said, she would no longer have to cook for the rest of the week. Even though I knew that was just exaggerated because I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and maybe the occasional brunch, linner, and midnight snack.

It was just the three of us, Grace was at a fundraiser event for her military academy class, she would be coming home in the evening. Unfortunately, she was being overwhelmed with her status as prettiest girl.

It was strange how much she had changed, two years ago, she was so different. Bullied by the popular kids, never wore makeup-but I think that was just because people teased her, she would tell me everything that was on her mind, and she was such a buzzkill.

Now she was one of the popular ones, she wore makeup and went out drinking and partying. She held secrets. It was as if she was just trying to forget something, she had gotten so different that she even brings a flask to school for goodness sake! I feared what had made her feel like she couldn't tell me anything.

But every time I asked she would just shut the conversation down and just try to stay away from my question of; what happened while I was gone? She'd especially shut me down when I brought up my relationship with Shawn.

Like, mom, Grace didn't like Shawn. I guess mom had her reasons, one of them being that she was just being a momma bear but with everything she let me do freely I didn't understand why she didn't accept him. He was charismatic and I could see it in mom's eyes that she really wanted to like him, she just didn't trust him.

Grace didn't like the idea of my first date with him. So much so that she had followed us for the first 10 minutes until I caught her and sent back her home. It was probably just her own way of expressing the old 'you hurt him I'll hurt you back', I hear that's a thing a lot of people would do for their friends.

Still, in other relationships, you wouldn't see a best friend be extremely cautious towards the person you trust when they're around you. They would be happy for you since your happy, right? In Grace's case that would be wrong, I would think it was something to do with my coma. Everything has to be about you, doesn't it Dusk!