Chapter 20

While Loki is getting dressed in the bedroom, I step into the bathroom to check how I look. I'm in luck, no ugly crying face. I take a kleenex to wipe away some run mascara. Other than that, my makeup still looks good. One of the braids to the side of my head has come a little loose. There's a shaving mirror attached to the wall in Loki's bathroom. I move it so I can use it to watch the back of my head in the big mirror. Carefully I pin the loose braid back in place. I turn my head to see if I did it right. Astera would probably do it better, but this will do.
I check my dress, but that also still looks good. The high heels click on the bathroom tiles. I wonder how long I'm gonna make it in them tonight. But that's a worry for later.

When I get back in the sitting room, Loki has opened the curtains. He is standing in front of the window, his back to me. My face splits in a big grin, I can't help but admire the man who's taking me out tonight. He is not wearing a cape, but a long black, sleeveless leather coat instead. It's a tailored fit, clinging to his frame. The shoulder part is separate and lightly decorated with lines of gold thread. There is a matching gold line to the bottom of his coat.
Loki looks over his shoulder, turning around when he sees me standing in the doorway. I like the front of his outfit even better. His coat is lined in forest green. His sleeves are the same green, interrupted by diagonal strips of leather and his lower arms are covered in decorated gold metal plates. Gold plates are sewn to the front of his coat too, matching the lines of his tunic, which consists of alternating diagonal strips of leather. The collars of his coat and tunic stand up and it reminds me of my dress. On Loki's chest is a gold plate, somewhat resembling a boomerang. His tunic is asymmetric, splitting above his right leg. And his breeches are made of black leather, with matching boots that come up to just below his knees.

"Sorry, no cape," Loki says with a grin.

"Doesn't matter, I like this even better," I reply, still smiling from ear to ear.

"Good. Now, come here. I've got something for you," Loki says, his voice sounding a little rough.

Curious, I walk over to him. He tells me to hold out my hand, which I do. Loki holds his closed fist above my hand. A green light shines through his fingers and when he opens his hand a little, there's a thin gold necklace dangling from his fingers. The hanger feels cold to my palm. It looks a little like a gold boomerang, with a green stone encased in it.
"It's Malachite," Loki explains.

"It's beautiful," I breathe, admiring the hanger. "Thank you, I love it."
The stone is dark green, with curved lines in lighter green.

"May I?" Loki asks, and I turn around for him to put on the necklace.
Gently, he turns me back again after fastening the clasp. His long fingers lift up the hanger a little before he lets go.
I'm trying my best not to turn beet red under his gaze, until he breaks it and gestures for us to go to the door.

"Are we good?" I ask Loki, holding him back by his arm before we leave the room.

He looks down at me, taking a deep breath. "I am not pleased about a lot of things right now. But we are good, my little wolf. Now let's go to the gala."

When we step out the door, we meet Astera in the hall. Apparently she has been waiting for us. She hands me my gold purse and tells us the rest of the party is already downstairs, the car waiting for us. I thank Astera for all her help and then we make our way down.
Outside there's a black stretched limousine waiting for us. When the driver sees us coming, he opens the door.
"Sorry to keep you waiting," I excuse myself - and Loki - to the others.

"Don't worry, I heard on Earth important guests are always late," Thor chuckles.

I take it we are going to act like nothing happened, at least for tonight. Loki and I take a seat next to Heimdall. Steve and Sharon are sitting across from us, Thor and Lady Eir are in the seat in the back of the limo.

The gala is taking place at a mansion outside the city. On the way over there, Steve is the perfect gentleman, talking about harmless subjects to keep the conversation going. Loki is silent, tugging at his fingers in an aggravated way. I figure it's best to leave him alone, so I talk to Steve and Sharon.

"Did you practice your smile, Ylva?" Sharon asks me.

"Uh.. why?" I ask, a bit surprised by her question.

"There's going to be a lot of press there. You're going to get your own red carpet moment," she says with a teasing smile.

"What?!" I did not count on that!Suddenly I'm nervous again. I'm going to be next to Thor and Loki, the guests of honor. There's a good chance my picture is going to be all over the news!

"Relax, Ylva," Sharon laughs. "You don't have to pose. Just get out of the car, and walk inside without falling on your face."

I make a face at her. "Easy for you to say," I tell her, showing her my heels.

A few moments later, the driver announces we will be there in two minutes. Beside me, Loki still has not said anything. "You ok?" I whisper, leaning to him.

He nods and squares his shoulders. "Just a bunch of humans who want to stare at a god. I've been through worse things," he smirks.

Of course, the God of Lies is good at faking things. He should be fine. I wonder if I will be, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

When the car stops, Thor is the first to get out, followed by Lady Eir and Heimdall. Instantly, I can hear the noise of cameras clicking and photographers calling at them.
"We're up," Loki says, putting his hand on my arm shortly.

Loki gets out of the car and extends his hand to help me out. There is an actual red carpet, leading up the steps to the door. Thor, Heimdall and Lady Eir are almost inside, meaning we get all the attention now. Loki gives me his arm and I try to keep an even smile on my face. I feel a bit overwhelmed by the situation and all the flashing cameras.

"You're doing fine, my little wolf. Almost inside," Loki whispers reassuringly in my ear, moving his arm to my waist to give me a small hug.
At that moment, I can hear the photographers yell for Captain America and I know Steve and Sharon have exited the car.

Inside the mansion we are greeted by a hostess, named Mandy, who explains to us the details of the evening. It turns out she is going to accompany Thor and Loki, to make sure they are properly introduced to everyone of importance. There will be a photographer present, to document the shaking of hands with other VIP's. I decide to stay clear of that, already having seen enough cameras for the night.
Mandy shows us to the center of the party, which takes place outside. It's been quite a hot day, and it will be a couple of hours before the sun sets. A waiter brings us champagne and we toast to a nice evening.

Sharon and Steve are taking a walk around the grounds, I guess to familiarize themselves with the perimeter. It turns out there are a lot of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents present, along with regular security. I wonder how many of them are here just because of Loki.

Author's note:Funny thing: I thought up a necklace to wear for Ylva, one that somewhat matched Loki's outfit

Author's note:
Funny thing: I thought up a necklace to wear for Ylva, one that somewhat matched Loki's outfit. And when I went looking for pictures of similar necklaces, I found almost the exact necklace I put in my story! Fate :-)
You can find it here: https://www.silpada.com/jewelry/reversible-boomerang-pendant/reversible-boomerang-pendant/16hxhf